POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HeightFields and differences, clipping etc. Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  HeightFields and differences, clipping etc. (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Ken
Subject: Re: HeightFields and differences, clipping etc.
Date: 4 Jan 2000 21:34:18
Message: <3872AD62.127444F4@pacbell.net>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <3872a859@news.povray.org>, "Patrick Dugan"
> <pat### [at] netinsnet> wrote:
>
> > But WHY is there a torus depression?  The torus should carve out ONLY
> > where
> > the intersection of the height field and torus intersect, not have an
> > "extra" area showing outside of the heightfield.  While a "clear" pigment
> > works it is still not behaving the way a standard solid object would.
>
> I am not sure what you mean. It behaves in exactly the same way a
> standard object does. A difference operation leaves the surface of the
> differencing object on the object being differenced.

For what it is worth I agree with Chris's assessment of the operation.
Practice differencing a small sphere from the face of a box or a plane
and you will see what he means.

From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 5 Jan 2000 04:29:04
Message: <38730ee0@news.povray.org>
Patrick Dugan <pat### [at] netinsnet> wrote in message
> But WHY is there a torus depression?  The torus should carve out ONLY
where
> the intersection of the height field and torus intersect, not have an
> "extra" area showing outside of the heightfield.  While a "clear" pigment
> works it is still not behaving the way a standard solid object would.

Maybe you have the heightfield upside down and are looking at the underside
of your heightfield?
Just an idea...

Johannes.

Post a reply to this message