POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Volume of a 3d mesh Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Volume of a 3d mesh (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Volume of a 3d mesh
Date: 9 Dec 1999 17:02:13
Message: <3850262D.E80C2B35@my-dejanews.com>
Is there an automatic way to calculate the volume of a 3d mesh?

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: Volume of a 3d mesh
Date: 9 Dec 1999 17:23:12
Message: <38502D2D.3F208819@erols.com>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> Is there an automatic way to calculate the volume of a 3d mesh?

For each triangle, take the following matrix:

[A.x  A.y  A.z]
[B.x  B.y  B.z]
[C.x  C.y  C.z]

Where A, B, and C are the vertices of the triangle.  Make sure that
the order from A to B to C goes in the same direction for each triangle
(either clockwise or counter-clockwise) when viewed from the outside
of the mesh.

Take the determinant of this matrix.  Divide it by six.  If the
determinant is negative, leave it that way.

Add up all of the determinants for all of the triangles.  Divide by
six.  If the sum is negative, make it positive.  The result is the
volume of the mesh.

Note that every edge *MUST* be shared by exactly TWO triangles, or the
sum will be entirely meaningless.

Hope this helps,
John
--
ICQ: 46085459

Post a reply to this message

"John VanSickle" <van### [at] erolscom> wrote :
> Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Is there an automatic way to calculate the volume of a 3d mesh?
>
> For each triangle, take the following matrix:

    Wait a minute... are you saying that if (for instance) I were to go into
Rhino, make an unusual shape, export it to POV and then do as you describe,
I would get the volume of that unusual shape? Please say yes.... It would
give me an excuse to buy Rhino.

Post a reply to this message

>     Wait a minute... are you saying that if (for instance) I were to go into
> Rhino, make an unusual shape, export it to POV and then do as you describe,
> I would get the volume of that unusual shape? Please say yes.... It would
> give me an excuse to buy Rhino.

That's the only excuse you need to buy Rhino ?