POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [help] Illegal random number generator error Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:26:36 EDT (-0400)
  [help] Illegal random number generator error (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Philippe Debar
Subject: [help] Illegal random number generator error
Date: 30 Nov 1999 09:18:01
Message: <3843dc99@news.povray.org>
// Illegal random number generator error

camera{}
light_source{0 color rgb 1}
#declare testval=rand(5);

/*
I got a new and persistent error ("illegal random number generator") every
time I try to use rand() with any seed but 0. Except 0, I found no seed that
did not produce this error. Even this simplest scene generates it. As I had
many installation/de-installation on my computer recently, I tried
uninstalling an reinstalling POV - to no avail. Any hint?

This scene produces:
<snip>
> Warning Stream to console.......On
> camera{}
> light_source{0 color rgb 1}
> #declare testval=rand(5) <----ERROR
>
> D:\POV\Ecran\randtest.pov:3: error: Illegal random number generator.
>
> Returned from renderer (non-zero return value)

POV version info:
v 3.1g.watcom/win32 (Pentium II optimized)

System info:
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
IE 5 5.00.2614.3500
PII 233MHz (GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology)
128MB RAM
*/

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:05:08 +0100, Philippe Debar wrote:
>// Illegal random number generator error
>
>camera{}
>light_source{0 color rgb 1}
>#declare testval=rand(5);
>
>/*
>I got a new and persistent error ("illegal random number generator") every
>time I try to use rand() with any seed but 0. Except 0, I found no seed that
>did not produce this error. Even this simplest scene generates it. As I had
>many installation/de-installation on my computer recently, I tried
>uninstalling an reinstalling POV - to no avail. Any hint?

Rand takes a special seed value as an argument.  It should be like this:

camera{}
light_source{0 color rgb 1}
#declare Seed = seed(5);
#declare testval=rand(Seed);

You may want to reread the documentation on rand() and seed().