POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: New fisheye with less distortion Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New fisheye with less distortion (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: kim
Subject: Re: New fisheye with less distortion
Date: 24 Nov 1999 14:14:41
Message: <383c3921@news.povray.org>
Yes, I would like to make the souce public, but how do I do that?

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 24 Nov 1999 14:35:46
Message: <383C3DB1.6C9E5A7D@pacbell.net>
kim### [at] pvvorg wrote:

> Yes, I would like to make the souce public, but how do I do that?

 There are a couple of methods. You could simply put the source on
your web page and I can add a link to the povray.org links page
telling people what it is and where to find it. This way if they
want to compile their own patch merged with your feature they would
know how to find it and what it does.

[I maintain the links page for the POV-Team]

 You might also try posting a message in the unofficial patches group
on this server telling of your new feature and ask if any one of the
popular patch authors would like to merge your work into theirs.

  Ron Parker has the SuperPatch which contains several features
contributed by many different patch authors. It is by far the most
popular unofficial version of POV-Ray around.

  Nathan Kopp has UVPov which while it contains mostly his own work
might be convinced to take a look at it and see if it worth adding
to his patch.

  Both of these patches are very popular in the POV-Ray community.

 Chris Huff has his own Macintosh patch that is gaining in size as
is the Smellenburg(sp?) patch aimed at Mac users. They might also be
interested in taking a look at your code. If they like it they can
help to increase the exposure of your patch.

 I can also mention your patch to the POV-Team for you and let them
decide it they might want to add it to some future version of POV-Ray.
There is no gaurantee that they will like your work but it would
not hurt for me to mention it to them. They would most very likey
want to see the code for this if they were interested and would
want to know what advantage your version of the fisheye has over
the current method used. Selling the POV-Team on a new feature
that duplicates an existing feature will only work if there are
signifigant advantages to doing so.