POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Amazing Discovery! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Amazing Discovery! (Message 31 to 31 of 31)
From: Bill DeWitt
Subject: Re: Amazing Discovery!
Date: 24 Nov 1999 08:37:16
Message: <383bea0c@news.povray.org>
omniVERSE <inv### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> I didn't realize it until I encountered this that when I was a kid and the
> family went to a restaurant (not a real fancy kind) every month or so I
> picked up on the repetitive pattern in the tabletop, you know those kind
> with smallish modern art designs in them (60's era

    I used to do the same thing. Any small repeated pattern was subject of
an intensive session of relaxed staring. The best was my (5th grade?) math
book. It had a multiple exposure of some bouncing balls on the cover and of
you chose two and got them to line up they would rise out of the page.

    My friends thought I was nuts... they still do... but then I still do
that trick. In fact I have some small tile-able backgrounds that I put on my
desktop just for such things. If you choose the right ones your Icons seem
to float about an inch above your screen. Unfortunately, if you
look -right-at- your Icons, they pop back to the surface. I keep threatening
to make some Icons that have some stereo properties so that they can float
while I am looking at them but I never have gotten around to it.