POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 16-bit height field paint Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  16-bit height field paint (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Andrew Clinton
Subject: 16-bit height field paint
Date: 10 Nov 1999 16:40:24
Message: <3829E632.D0FD269D@ibm.net>
Hello,

I'm looking for a simple height field paint program that will export to
a 16-bit greyscale file (such as .pot, .tga, etc. as in the docs.)  I've
looked and looked but the only programs I've found that export 16-bit
greyscale images are fractal programs.  All that would be necessary in
the program would be a simple airbrush tool so that I could paint the
elevations with smooth transitions.  If anyone knows of such a program
please let me know!

Thank you,

Andrew Clinton

Post a reply to this message

>I'm looking for a simple height field paint program that will export to
>a 16-bit greyscale file (such as .pot, .tga, etc. as in the docs.)  I've
>looked and looked but the only programs I've found that export 16-bit
>greyscale images are fractal programs.  All that would be necessary in
>the program would be a simple airbrush tool so that I could paint the
>elevations with smooth transitions.  If anyone knows of such a program
>please let me know!

HF-Lab exports 16-bit PNG files, but it doesn't have any of the tools found
in a paint program.  I think the GIMP can save 16-bit PNG files, but I'm not
sure about this.

Mark

Post a reply to this message

> >I'm looking for a simple height field paint program that will export to
> >a 16-bit greyscale file (such as .pot, .tga, etc. as in the docs.)  I've
> >looked and looked but the only programs I've found that export 16-bit
> >greyscale images are fractal programs.  All that would be necessary in
> >the program would be a simple airbrush tool so that I could paint the
> >elevations with smooth transitions.  If anyone knows of such a program
> >please let me know!
>
> HF-Lab exports 16-bit PNG files, but it doesn't have any of the tools found
> in a paint program.  I think the GIMP can save 16-bit PNG files, but I'm not
> sure about this.
>
> Mark

Yes, the GIMP can save 16-big PNG.  I wouldn't exactly call it a "simple
height field paint program", but it's more of a paint program than the
fractal programs.

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message

> I'm looking for a simple height field paint program that will export
> a 16-bit greyscale file (such as .pot, .tga, etc. as in the docs.)
> I've
> looked and looked but the only programs I've found that export 16-bit
> greyscale images are fractal programs.  All that would be necessary in
>
> the program would be a simple airbrush tool so that I could paint the
> elevations with smooth transitions.  If anyone knows of such a program
>
> please let me know!
>
> Thank you,
>
> Andrew Clinton

Hi Andrew,

not one with an airbrush tool, AFAIK, but with other powerfull smoothing
filters and other useful tools: Give a try lo LEVELLER, which you find
at
  http://www.daylongraphics.com/ .
There also is a trial version with limeted features, but the full
version regrettably isn't free.

ReVerSi

Post a reply to this message