POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media-ish Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  media-ish (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: nested
Subject: media-ish
Date: 31 Oct 1999 05:57:09
Message: <381c2085@news.povray.org>
when i discovered that the patterns in povray are the intersection of a
surface with the pattern, i started getting ideas of rendering patterns
without the intersection, and defining part of the 0 to 1 range as solid and
part as not.  dents with a fairly low torbulence could be interesting, for
instance.  when i discovered media, i was overjoyed, but then i realized
that it's used to simulate particles, not solid objects with definite
surfaces.  i've tried to get the effect i'm looking for with media, and i've
gotten it to block light, but i've had no luck with contoured shading,
although i haven't experimented with lighting much.  in any case, i expect
it would be much faster if there were a way to do this specifically.  no
checking for densities and adjusting the color accordingly along the ray's
entire path inside the media, just the border between solid and not.  so
here's my question.  since i don't have the skills to make this, has anybody
else done it?  does anyone else plan to?
thanks
Michael

Post a reply to this message