POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Gamma correction and png image_maps... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Gamma correction and png image_maps... (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Rune S  Johansen
Subject: Gamma correction and png image_maps...
Date: 17 Oct 1999 11:11:47
Message: <3809e733@news.povray.org>
I have a question about gamma settings when outputting to .png files.

Let's say I render an image in POV-Ray and output it to a .bmp image and
then use Paint Shop Pro to convert it to a .png image. When I use this image
as an image_map in POV-Ray it works as I expect it to do.

But when I render an image in POV-Ray and output directly to a .png image,
and then use that image as an image_map in POV-Ray then it doesn't work as I
expect it to. I can't figure out if it is because the image_map is not
gamma_corrected, or if it is because it *is* gamma_corrected, or if it is
because it is gamma_corrected twice, but anyway it is too dark.

Also, the .png image_maps made directly by POV-Ray have different
brightnesses relative to the scene when I use different Display_Gamma
settings in the scene with the image_maps. The .png image_maps converted by
Paint Shop Pro always have the same brightness.

What settings (both in the scene file and in the ini settings) should I use
to make POV-Ray output the same way as Paint Shop Pro does?

Is it a bug?

Greetings,

Rune S. Johansen

---
Updated October 7: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,

I only know what you know.  I've seen the dark Png images too.  If a Jpg is
made out of one by saving from PSP it gets brighter, although the Png
actually looks the same IN Paint Shop Pro near as I can tell, but other
viewers can see them as much darkened from the original output which is seen
while rendering.
Willing to bet it's the 'assumed_gamma' thing where I usually use the 2.2
(darker) instead of 1.0 (lighter).

Bob