POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPovRay ... a Java port Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  JPovRay ... a Java port (Message 21 to 22 of 22)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Re: JPovRay ... a Java port
Date: 13 Oct 1999 18:50:21
Message: <38050C14.F1509AD4@my-dejanews.com>
Yes.      I want it to be like that boid link by Craig Reynolds.
 http://hmt.com/cwr/boids.html
If I want to see what happens at the 1000th or 2000th  frame of an animation, I have
either store 1000 TGA's on my hard drive or keep guessing what it will be like along
the way.   I want to be able to be doing something else (hence screensaver is a fairly
good analogy) and just watch as the scene develops.

If I were only making an animation of a man walking across the street, then YES it is
inconceivable to want anything more than TGA's.  But I made some things like a
self-assembling chain and I wanted to know if it were ever going to undo itself.
 http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/gregjohn/animation.html#POV2
Figuring out a way to see "very long" exposures is such a headache to program that I
would rather just code it in Java (or in C++ perhaps) and let it crunch with
continuous
display.

On further thinking, maybe the answer is to have povray write to the same file over
and
over and over. (Would this hurt my hard drive? Could I have it simply store a file in
"RAM"??)

You see how the old-fashioned "crunch one TGA every five minutes and store it"
conflicts with my grand schemes for flocking brilliance!!!!

Ken wrote:

> Nieminen Juha wrote:
> >
> > Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote:
> > : Pov makes wonderful TGA's. Pov can make a still image where things happen based
> > : on a clock variable.
> >
> > : I want an animation to run based on my algorithm all day.
> >
> >   Sorry, I still don't understand what do you mean.
> >
> >   Povray can make a series of images. You just have to tell it how many
> > images it has to create. You can convert those images to an animation format
> > with any converter you like.
>
> I think what Greg needs is not so much a "movie" amination capability
> as much as he needs a screen saver type program routine that runs his
> sript continiously. At least that is the way I percieve it.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote:
: If I want to see what happens at the 1000th or 2000th  frame of an animation, I have
: either store 1000 TGA's on my hard drive or keep guessing what it will be like along
: the way.

  ... or use the Clock=0.9 option (or command line parameter +k0.9) ?

: I want to be able to be doing something else (hence screensaver is a fairly
: good analogy) and just watch as the scene develops.

  How does winpov stop you from doing something else (I suppose you are using
winpov)?