POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : No pointlight atmospheric media interaction? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  No pointlight atmospheric media interaction? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: No pointlight atmospheric media interaction?
Date: 6 Oct 1999 20:17:58
Message: <37fbe6b6@news.povray.org>
I cannot get a pointlight to interact with atmospheric media. What's up?

When I put a spotlight here, it looks cool.  The pointlight, however,
doesn't do a thing....

light_source{<0.005,0.00081,0.00081>  color White*14
media_interaction on}
  /*
  light_source {  <0,0,0>
    color White*14
    spotlight
    radius 90
    falloff 89//28
    tightness 1
    point_at x

  }
    */
media {                         //media scattering
  intervals 10
  scattering { 2, red 0.05 blue 0.001 green 0.02}
  samples 1, 10
  confidence 0.9999
  variance 1/1000
  ratio 0.9
}

Post a reply to this message

> I cannot get a pointlight to interact with atmospheric media. What's up?
>
> When I put a spotlight here, it looks cool.  The pointlight, however,
> doesn't do a thing....
>
> light_source{<0.005,0.00081,0.00081>  color White*14
> media_interaction on}
>   /*
>   light_source {  <0,0,0>
>     color White*14
>     spotlight
>     radius 90
>     falloff 89//28
>     tightness 1
>     point_at x
>
>   }
>     */
> media {                         //media scattering
>   intervals 10
>   scattering { 2, red 0.05 blue 0.001 green 0.02}
>   samples 1, 10
>   confidence 0.9999
>   variance 1/1000
>   ratio 0.9
> }

	Is there anything else in the scene besides the media and the light? If
not, that's because when you use a spotlight, the samples get
concentrated in the lighted cone so the effect is visible, whereas for a
pointlight they are distributed along the whole ray and if there's
nothing to stop it, the ray goes to infinity... (in fact that's why
rather than using atmospheric media, I usually use object media in a
very large container: it's easier to tune)

		Jerome

--
*******************************

* they'll tell you what can't * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* be done and why...          * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger
* Then do it.                 *
*******************************

Post a reply to this message

Okay, thanks for the suggestion.  However, I already tried the "container media"
and the effect was not nearly as cool as that for the spotlight and atmospheric
media.

Jerome M. BERGER wrote:

>         Is there anything else in the scene besides the media and the light? If
> not, that's because when you use a spotlight, the samples get
> concentrated in the lighted cone so the effect is visible, whereas for a
> pointlight they are distributed along the whole ray and if there's
> nothing to stop it, the ray goes to infinity... (in fact that's why
> rather than using atmospheric media, I usually use object media in a
> very large container: it's easier to tune)
>
>                 Jerome
>
> --
> *******************************

> * they'll tell you what can't * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
> * be done and why...          * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger
> * Then do it.                 *
> *******************************

Post a reply to this message

On second thought, I will repeat my complaint that point lights DO NOT WORK with
atmospheric media. This is either a bug or a design flaw.

I wanted the effect of a light bulb inside a wiffle ball in the fog.  I set up a
porous object (based on 3d noise), but a point light inside, and had NO effect.  I
removed my porous object.  There was still no effect.  Thus, I conclude that point
lights do not interact with atmospheric media.

Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> Okay, thanks for the suggestion.  However, I already tried the "container media"
> and the effect was not nearly as cool as that for the spotlight and atmospheric
> media.
>
> Jerome M. BERGER wrote:
>
> >         Is there anything else in the scene besides the media and the light? If
> > not, that's because when you use a spotlight, the samples get
> > concentrated in the lighted cone so the effect is visible, whereas for a
> > pointlight they are distributed along the whole ray and if there's
> > nothing to stop it, the ray goes to infinity... (in fact that's why
> > rather than using atmospheric media, I usually use object media in a
> > very large container: it's easier to tune)
> >
> >                 Jerome
> >
> > --
> > *******************************

> > * they'll tell you what can't * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
> > * be done and why...          * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger
> > * Then do it.                 *
> > *******************************

Post a reply to this message

> I cannot get a pointlight to interact with atmospheric media. What's up?
>
> When I put a spotlight here, it looks cool.  The pointlight, however,
> doesn't do a thing....
>
> light_source{<0.005,0.00081,0.00081>  color White*14
> media_interaction on}
>   /*
>   light_source {  <0,0,0>
>     color White*14
>     spotlight
>     radius 90
>     falloff 89//28
>     tightness 1
>     point_at x
>
>   }
>     */
> media {                         //media scattering
>   intervals 10
>   scattering { 2, red 0.05 blue 0.001 green 0.02}
>   samples 1, 10
>   confidence 0.9999
>   variance 1/1000
>   ratio 0.9
> }

This works for me using your media and my camera. Turn the media_interaction
off and the media dissappears. Turn the media_interaction on and the media
appears. I don't know what your problem is but it's not Pov's fault.

#include "colors.inc"

  camera {
    location <0, 0, -1>
    look_at <0, 0, 0>
    angle 75
    }

 light_source{<0.005,0.00081,0.00081>  color White*14
 media_interaction on}

 media {                         //media scattering
   intervals 10
   scattering { 2, red 0.05 blue 0.001 green 0.02}
   samples 1, 10
   confidence 0.9999
   variance 1/1000
   ratio 0.9
 }

--
Ken Tyler
1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links: