POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PUD project - locations Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:28:51 EDT (-0400)
  PUD project - locations (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Rune S  Johansen
Subject: PUD project - locations
Date: 18 Sep 1999 12:26:25
Message: <37e3bd31@news.povray.org>
Thanks for all the answers to my message "POV User Database" (or just PUD).

It seems that there's many that think it would be a good idea.

Some have said that there's already services that does what I described
(POV-Ray Ring, ICQ POV-Ray public chat room) but it is my impression that
it's not quite the same.

Others have pointed out the problems with data privacy laws in countries
around the world. But I've seen  respected services on the net asking for
such information (hotmail and such services). Just add a disclaimer and it
should be all right, right? I hope so.

Also some have said that they would like to see the service on povray.org. I
would too! But in case povray.org won't make the service I think it would
still be as useful if it is located elsewhere.

If the service must become reality I think we better just start making it. I
hope that if I begin making some of it then others will jump into the
project too. We will definitely need someone who can program cgi scripts but
everyone is mostly welcome :-)

The basement of the whole service would be the information submitted with
the form. So the form is the first thing to make I guess.

Let's take one step at a time. One of the things I thought should be
included in the PUD is information about where in the world the users live.
I would like to be able to just type in a certain location on earth and then
get a list of people who lives near that location.
The question is how the user should tell where he lives. He should choose
his country (and state if he lives in the US). But how about more precise
information? I think one should type in one's co-ordinates (?) the same way
as on "The World of POV-Ray users". That way everyone would have to find out
their co-ordinates but wouldn't it be the easiest solution?

Please come with your opinion of any of this!

More discussions will follow later...

Greetings,

Rune S. Johansen

---
Visit The RSJ Website at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
for all my 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,