POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Trace_Level problem Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Trace_Level problem (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Philip Bartol
Subject: Trace_Level problem
Date: 15 Sep 1999 08:47:03
Message: <37df9547@news.povray.org>
I'm gonna get a RTFM for sure on this one, but....

POV for DOS crashes every time I use a number higher than 32 for
max_trace_level in my global settings.... I know that others have used higher
values, stsky.pov is one example (it sets it to something like 64)...

Could this just be a problem with my setup (I run it under Win95) or is the
DOS version just not capable of handling a value higher than 32?

PHIL

>I'm gonna get a RTFM for sure on this one, but....
>
>POV for DOS crashes every time I use a number higher than 32 for
>max_trace_level in my global settings.... I know that others have used
higher
>values, stsky.pov is one example (it sets it to something like 64)...
>
>Could this just be a problem with my setup (I run it under Win95) or is the
>DOS version just not capable of handling a value higher than 32?

I don't know what the limitation for the DOS version is.  It depends on the
stack size set when the program was compiled, and probably on how much
memory you have.  I'm running a custom compile of POV-Ray for Windows under
Win98 with 128MB of RAM, and I've gone up to a max_trace_level of 350 before
crashing.

Mark

Post a reply to this message

: I don't know what the limitation for the DOS version is.  It depends on the
: stack size set when the program was compiled

  Watcom links a ridiculously small stack to the program by default (about
8k). If you recompile povray with watcom, you have to tell it to link a
bigger stack.

>: I don't know what the limitation for the DOS version is.  It depends on the
>: stack size set when the program was compiled
>
>  Watcom links a ridiculously small stack to the program by default (about
>8k). If you recompile povray with watcom, you have to tell it to link a
>bigger stack.

I've got the official release of POV for DOS... the superpatch is compiled
with DDGJP (or whatever that free C compiler for DOS is)... maybe I should
give that one a try...

PHIL