POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Torus pattern suggestion Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:12:39 EDT (-0400)
  Torus pattern suggestion (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: Torus pattern suggestion
Date: 16 Sep 1999 13:18:18
Message: <37E129C8.7B9BF847@erols.com>
Larry Fontaine wrote:

> Suggestion for the next version of POV:
> A torus pattern, like the sphere one, but a torus...
> Would be major radius 1, along the X-Y or X-Z plane, with the value
> gradually dropping off from 1 at minor-radius 0 to 0 at minor-radius
> 1.

I posted source for two versions of this pattern, either to one of the
programming groups or to the unofficial patch group, with recommended
names of ring and donut (or something like that).  One version returned
a value of 1 at the minor radius focal point, dropping to 0 when the
minor radius reached, and remaining at 0 for all points outside of the
torus.  This was intended for smoke rings, angel's halos, parts of
neon sign lettering, etc.

The other version started with a value of 0 at minor_radius=0, rose
to 1 at minor_radius=1, and then repeated this range for minor radii>1.
This pattern was more suited for simulating the interior of curved
branches, etc.

The major radius was 1 for both patterns.

Regards,
John
--
ICQ: 46085459