POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Food for thought... [Way OT] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Food for thought... [Way OT] (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Alexander Enzmann
Subject: Re: Food for thought... [Way OT]
Date: 3 Sep 1999 07:14:56
Message: <37CFAED1.174B9ED0@mitre.org>
Larry Fontaine wrote:

> Nothing can be proven without an assumption.
> For example, numbers can only be defined using numbers. Numbers were
> made up by humans out of thin air...

No - the Peano axioms don't require any numbers to start with.  Only a
thing and the concept of a successor of that thing.  Standard formal
logic stuff.  Of course it takes Bertrand Russel a couple of hundred
pages in his Principles of Mathematics to get to the point that you can
show that 1 + 1 = 2.

Xander

Post a reply to this message

> No - the Peano axioms don't require any numbers to start with.  Only a
> thing and the concept of a successor of that thing.  Standard formal
> logic stuff.  Of course it takes Bertrand Russel a couple of hundred
> pages in his Principles of Mathematics to get to the point that you can
> show that 1 + 1 = 2.
>
> Xander

I doubt it. 2 is the successor of 1 and the equation

                                     1 + 1 =  2

is a symbolic way to state this fact.

Alberto

Post a reply to this message

> Of course it takes Bertrand Russel a couple of hundred
> pages in his Principles of Mathematics to get to the point that you can
> show that 1 + 1 = 2.
>
> Xander

Does it serve any practical purpose or is it of purely philosophical value?

Margus

Post a reply to this message

> > No - the Peano axioms don't require any numbers to start with.  Only a
> > thing and the concept of a successor of that thing.  Standard formal
> > logic stuff.  Of course it takes Bertrand Russel a couple of hundred
> > pages in his Principles of Mathematics to get to the point that you can
> > show that 1 + 1 = 2.
> >
> > Xander
>
> I doubt it. 2 is the successor of 1 and the equation
>
>                                      1 + 1 =  2
>
> is a symbolic way to state this fact.

You doubt that the Peano axioms don't require numbers or that Russel
takes a long bit of analysis before getting to ordinal numbers?  In
either case you'd be off the mark.

Xander

Post a reply to this message