POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media Problem (possibly bug?) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Media Problem (possibly bug?) (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Equiprawn
Subject: Media Problem (possibly bug?)
Date: 19 Aug 1999 19:12:14
Message: <37bc8f4e@news.povray.org>
Hi,

In a scene that I am working on at the moment, I have a scattering media
filled object that I am using to create clouds. There is one cloud that is
fairly close to the camera (about 200 units away). It's working fine. My
point light sun is lighting up the parts of the cloud that are in direct
sunlight nice and bright, and as the cloud gets deeper, it fades off to a
lightish grey at the base. It has the overall appearance of a nice fluffy
white summers day cloud.

However, when I started to add a second cloud I ran into a problem. My
second cloud uses the exact same media. It is around 1000 units away. Even
though it uses the same media, it traces much darker, its brightest parts
being a dark grey, and gets even darker after that, giving it the general
appearance of a storm cloud. The point light that I am using as a sun is far
enough away from the two clouds that the receive nearly the same angle of
light. The light isn't set to fade over distance or anything. I tried using
a second media for the second cloud with a lesser density, but it just came
out as a more ethereal storm cloud, with no discernible difference in its
dark colour.

Is this a bug in Povray's media? Why is my second cloud so dark? Is there a
way I can get my second cloud to be as bright as my first one (without using
extra lights)?

Thanks,

Equiprawn

Post a reply to this message