POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #read fiasco Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  #read fiasco (Message 1 to 10 of 102)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: #read fiasco
Date: 8 Aug 1999 10:36:10
Message: <37ad95da@news.povray.org>
I wish that the documentation better explained the syntax for #read and
#write.

I have created a file of the positions and velocities of a number of
particles, (34 particles at 350 time periods).  I have pasted the first
four records from my file.

0,0,2.82488,1.88872,1.28931,-0.528847,-0.0413402,-0.84771
0,1,4.52083,2,3.26511,0.180401,-0.87059,-0.457743
0,2,2.46931,-1.21869,-0.8285,-0.187654,-0.372504,-0.90886
0,3,-2.75538,0.609548,-1.23555,-0.440196,-0.39602,-0.805851

The text file has the carriage returns already in it, as you can see. I
successfully used the following command to write this file:

#write
(MyFile2,tt,",",n,",",actorp[n][0].x,",",actorp[n][0].y,",",actorp[n][0].z,",",actorv[n][0].x,",",actorv[n][0].y,",",actorv[n][0].z,"\n"

)

But when I try to read the file, either superpatch for 3.1a crashes, or
it says something about expecting a variable but seeing a comma
instead.  I want to load this huge file into memory into two different
arrays, each with two subscripts.

According to my interpretation of the debug stream, when the program
gets into the second line of variables, it hangs up on about the third
variable. I am trying the following commands to read the file:

#fopen MyFile2 "c:\pov31\include\traillist.txt" read
#declare tt=0    ;
#while (tt<350*clock+1)
#declare n=0    ;
#while (n<num)
#debug "yeehah"
#read (MyFile2,l,m,px,py,pz,vx,vy,vz)
 #debug str(l,2,2)
 #debug str(m,2,2)
 #debug str(px,2,2)
 #debug str(py,2,2)
 #debug str(pz,2,2)
 #debug str(vx,2,2)
 #debug str(vy,2,2)
 #debug str(vz,2,2)
#declare actorp[tt][n]=<px,py,pz>;
#declare actorv[tt][n]=<vx,vy,vz>;
#declare n=n+1   ;
#end

#declare tt=tt+1;
#end

#fclose Myfile2

Thanks for any possible help.   This "one hour" doofy project turned
into a twelve hour battle with the software! I suspect the problem is
in the use of two-dimensional arrays, as a much simpler,
one-dimenstional array "reading" project works great.   If I may
politely state so,  the 3.1a documentation preaches to the choir too
often on syntax and rarely gives enough examples of how to actually use
the terms. In this case, I don't know how to read my file.

Post a reply to this message