POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New video cards may offload POV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:14:53 EDT (-0400)
  New video cards may offload POV (Message 21 to 30 of 37)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Spider
Subject: Re: New video cards may offload POV
Date: 26 Jul 1999 16:39:31
Message: <379B91F3.52C7AE1B@bahnhof.se>
Nick Portelli wrote:

> Yes networking is easy.  As long as it is with winsows.  I can't get
> linux to see my NIC because it is a 9.99 special.  But dual processors
> will not speed up POV if I'm correct.  Does POV use treads?  If it does
> it would benefit from mulitple processors.

PVMpov does work well in this sort of situations. Windows + networking.
Nothing I really enjoy, I greatly prefer doing that with linux. *humms*
too bad about the NIC though. tried the newer kernels?

//Spider
--Wail of Sumer.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 26 Jul 1999 23:08:27
Message: <379D22EF.A3888EB6@geocities.com>
Nick Portelli wrote:

> Yes networking is easy.  As long as it is with winsows.  I can't get
> linux to see my NIC because it is a 9.99 special.

Have you checked what chips are needed and have you looked on
http://www.deja.com/ to scan newsgroups? I thought I was going to have problems
with my cheapie card, but then I recognized the chip and installed it. Zooom! I
was off and running.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

Post a reply to this message

From: DEPerere
Date: 27 Jul 1999 04:01:10
Message: <379D6702.CE545925@bof.infomaniak.ch>
Do you know if PVMpov exists now in version 3.1?

--
David Etter Perere

Please remove ".bof" to answer

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 27 Jul 1999 04:19:25
Message: <379D6AD0.3592E10@pacbell.net>
DEPerere wrote:

> Do you know if PVMpov exists now in version 3.1?

In v3.1e at:

http://www.luga.de/~flierl/pvmpov/

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm

Post a reply to this message

From: DEPerere
Date: 27 Jul 1999 04:33:35
Message: <379D6EAC.6EF6209C@bof.infomaniak.ch>
Thank's Ken.
I might (is my english coorect?) say you are answering very, but very
fast.

From: Mark Wagner
Date: 28 Jul 1999 03:06:33
Message: <379eabf9@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <379C26B1.24384A6A@pacbell.net>...

>Mark Wagner wrote:
>>
>> Ken wrote in message <379B48A0.5961D6C2@pacbell.net>...
>> >I think I summed it up very well in the VFAQ. If you want to play games
and
>> >mpeg movies on your system then by all means buy a good harware
accelerated
>> >graphics card. If speed is a concern in raytracing then buy a fast
>> processor,
>> >with a mother board the has a fast buss, good amounts of level one and 2
>> cache
>> >memory for swapping out instructions, and tons of fast system ram. Then
sit
>> >back and wait cause raytracing is a slow process no matter what kind of
>> system
>> >you can afford to buy :)
>>
>> Actually, there is one system that can raytrace in real time, using
>> massively parallel processing -- the real world.  Anyone know where I can
>> buy one? :-)
>>
>> Mark
>
>The system or a "real" world ?

Yes.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Wagner
Date: 28 Jul 1999 03:07:32
Message: <379eac34@news.povray.org>
Jim Kress wrote in message <379a00af@news.povray.org>...
>Plain PaperTry this link
>http://headline.gamespot.com/news/99_07/23_pc_nvidia/index.html
>
>Looks like the next generation of video boards may start doing some of the
>math currently done in POV.

We seem to get this rumor every few months.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alan Kong
Date: 28 Jul 1999 04:26:55
Message: <379fb8bf.439854808@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:32:45 +0200, DEPerere <per### [at] bofinfomaniakch>
wrote:

>Thank's Ken.
>I might (is my english coorect?) say you are answering very, but very
>fast.

  Scary, isn't it? :)

--
Alan
news.povray.org - where POV-Ray enthusiasts around the world can get

From: Steve
Date: 29 Jul 1999 10:07:41
Message: <37A04310.1E2A2DF4@ndirect.co.uk>
Uncle Ken ain't a person he be a AI.

--
Cheers
Steve

%HAV-A-NICEDAY Error reading file mailto:sjl### [at] ndirectcouk

Post a reply to this message

From: Spider
Date: 29 Jul 1999 11:33:12
Message: <379F61B3.773D7A2D@bahnhof.se>
DEPerere wrote:

> Thank's Ken.
> I might (is my english coorect?) say you are answering very, but very
> fast.

He is well known for that.. look for replies that come up to an hour
before the questions... :)

//Spider
--Listening to the whispers of the dead.

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>