POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New video cards may offload POV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:13:16 EDT (-0400)
  New video cards may offload POV (Message 18 to 27 of 37)
From: Ken
Subject: Re: New video cards may offload POV
Date: 26 Jul 1999 05:15:44
Message: <379C26B1.24384A6A@pacbell.net>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> Ken wrote in message <379B48A0.5961D6C2@pacbell.net>...
> >I think I summed it up very well in the VFAQ. If you want to play games and
> >mpeg movies on your system then by all means buy a good harware accelerated
> >graphics card. If speed is a concern in raytracing then buy a fast
> processor,
> >with a mother board the has a fast buss, good amounts of level one and 2
> cache
> >memory for swapping out instructions, and tons of fast system ram. Then sit
> >back and wait cause raytracing is a slow process no matter what kind of
> system
> >you can afford to buy :)
>
> Actually, there is one system that can raytrace in real time, using
> massively parallel processing -- the real world.  Anyone know where I can
> buy one? :-)
>
> Mark

The system or a "real" world ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm

Post a reply to this message

From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 26 Jul 1999 13:05:24
Message: <379c5e9a.4608388@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 06:24:25 -0500, Steve <ste### [at] puzzlecraftcom>
wrote:
[snip]
>A low budget solution is to get a dual Pentium Dell server and run it as a
>workstation.

I know NT can split it's workload, to some degree, between CPU's - but
IIRC POV-Ray itself doesn't support multiple CPU's so is there an
appreciable benefit from a dual-processor PC? Or is there another OS
(Linux?) which can make better use of the 2nd CPU with it's flavour of
POV?

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/
PS change ".duffcom" to ".net" if replying via e-mail

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Huff
Date: 26 Jul 1999 13:23:17
Message: <379C9991.B872F8B3@compuserve.com>
You can always run multiple copies of POV, and even with one copy, it
gets most of one processor with less system overhead. Maybe POV-Ray will
be threaded in POV 4.

Post a reply to this message

From: Spider
Date: 26 Jul 1999 16:39:31
Message: <379B91F3.52C7AE1B@bahnhof.se>
Nick Portelli wrote:

> Yes networking is easy.  As long as it is with winsows.  I can't get
> linux to see my NIC because it is a 9.99 special.  But dual processors
> will not speed up POV if I'm correct.  Does POV use treads?  If it does
> it would benefit from mulitple processors.

PVMpov does work well in this sort of situations. Windows + networking.
Nothing I really enjoy, I greatly prefer doing that with linux. *humms*
too bad about the NIC though. tried the newer kernels?

//Spider
--Wail of Sumer.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 26 Jul 1999 23:08:27
Message: <379D22EF.A3888EB6@geocities.com>
Nick Portelli wrote:

> Yes networking is easy.  As long as it is with winsows.  I can't get
> linux to see my NIC because it is a 9.99 special.

Have you checked what chips are needed and have you looked on
http://www.deja.com/ to scan newsgroups? I thought I was going to have problems
with my cheapie card, but then I recognized the chip and installed it. Zooom! I
was off and running.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

Post a reply to this message

From: DEPerere
Date: 27 Jul 1999 04:01:10
Message: <379D6702.CE545925@bof.infomaniak.ch>
Do you know if PVMpov exists now in version 3.1?

--
David Etter Perere

Please remove ".bof" to answer

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 27 Jul 1999 04:19:25
Message: <379D6AD0.3592E10@pacbell.net>
DEPerere wrote:

> Do you know if PVMpov exists now in version 3.1?

In v3.1e at:

http://www.luga.de/~flierl/pvmpov/

From: DEPerere
Date: 27 Jul 1999 04:33:35
Message: <379D6EAC.6EF6209C@bof.infomaniak.ch>
Thank's Ken.
I might (is my english coorect?) say you are answering very, but very
fast.

From: Mark Wagner
Date: 28 Jul 1999 03:06:33
Message: <379eabf9@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <379C26B1.24384A6A@pacbell.net>...

>Mark Wagner wrote:
>>
>> Ken wrote in message <379B48A0.5961D6C2@pacbell.net>...
>> >I think I summed it up very well in the VFAQ. If you want to play games
and
>> >mpeg movies on your system then by all means buy a good harware
accelerated
>> >graphics card. If speed is a concern in raytracing then buy a fast
>> processor,
>> >with a mother board the has a fast buss, good amounts of level one and 2
>> cache
>> >memory for swapping out instructions, and tons of fast system ram. Then
sit
>> >back and wait cause raytracing is a slow process no matter what kind of
>> system
>> >you can afford to buy :)
>>
>> Actually, there is one system that can raytrace in real time, using
>> massively parallel processing -- the real world.  Anyone know where I can
>> buy one? :-)
>>
>> Mark
>
>The system or a "real" world ?

Yes.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Wagner
Date: 28 Jul 1999 03:07:32
Message: <379eac34@news.povray.org>
Jim Kress wrote in message <379a00af@news.povray.org>...
>Plain PaperTry this link
>http://headline.gamespot.com/news/99_07/23_pc_nvidia/index.html
>
>Looks like the next generation of video boards may start doing some of the
>math currently done in POV.

We seem to get this rumor every few months.