POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Babylon 5 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Babylon 5 (Message 15 to 24 of 24)
From: Ken
Subject: Re: Babylon 5
Date: 20 Jul 1999 04:19:47
Message: <379430A5.F5E83D11@pacbell.net>
Matt Giwer wrote:

> Ken wrote:
>
> >   I think the main problem is money and time. for a series you have serious
> > deadline issues and strict bugets to adhere to. If this were no problem
> > you would throw away your lightwave program and hire ILM to take care of
> > your special effects for you and give them all the money and time they ask
> > for to do.
>
>         K-rap!
>
>         If I see that expanding torus (compressed in y) with media one
> more time I think I am going to barf.
>
>         Why is it a "good" image? ILM tells me so.
>
>         Gentlemen, Lucas bought ILM and they have been technical state
> of the art but in practice today, anyone can afford state of the
> art processing speed. The thrust has gone to creativity not to
> workstation capacity.

Holy Matt droppings Robin,

  The point you are missing is that it is not just computational speed
as much as it is the marrige of film and computer generated graphics.
The two are becoming mutualy inclusive and the talent to do so in a
convincing manner is not something left to amateurs. ILM has paid
their dues, experience wise, and so earns them the recognition that
the industry and the public pays them.
  That the producers of Babylon 5 were able to do this in a weekly
production is a phenominal feather in their respective caps but
there were sacrifices in quality that had to be made to do so. I
stand by what I said that if superior quality was their goal, and
time and money were of no importance, they would have hired a firm
like ILM or Pixar to do their production work for them, and it would
have been a much more impressive presentation.

  You may now barf if you like... that is your prerogative.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm