POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New way of specifying transparence? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:12:18 EDT (-0400)
  New way of specifying transparence? (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Nathan Kopp
Subject: Re: New way of specifying transparence?
Date: 14 Jul 1999 09:44:09
Message: <378C9302.226E5659@Kopp.com>
Robert Dawson wrote:

>     Well, not to flame, but - if you want post-processing effects, get/use a
> post-processing program!  Anything with color-based masking and layers will
> give you far, far better bleeds than hanging a bag on the side of POV-Ray
> will ever do.

On the other hand, some post processing effects like lens flare and faked
focal blur need detailed information about the scene and could probably
best be done as part of the renderer.  Most modern renderers (like
Softimage, Maya, and 3DS) support a variety of post-processing effects.

>     You know you've been raytracing too long when - you want your entire OS
> and all your apps to be part of your raytracer <grin>.

But don't we all want that?  ;-)

>     Seriously, what *would* be nice is a way to get POV-Ray to put out an
> additional image with each major object represented by a big flat area of a
> distinctive color, to alow precision masking in a post-processing program.
> Something in the spirit of those black and white keys they put besides
> photographs, with each person/building/animal in outline & numbered.  And -
> it's there already! Use quick-color and a very low quality setting :-)

Good suggestion!

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message