POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bryce patches? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Bryce patches? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Steve Laybourn
Subject: Bryce patches?
Date: 25 Jun 1999 23:03:46
Message: <37744277.9CB1CE78@foxinternet.net>
G'day!
   This is my first posting here, be gentle with me...
   I've used POV-Ray for a little more than five years, mostly for basic
3D shape assembly, occasional CNC interpretation, and iterative function
analysis...I like it because it's easy to generate a .POV text file
based on the results...
   Recently I got Bryce3D for Windows...
   Now HERE is a way to really interpret 3D output files...trouble is,
there doesn't seem to be a way to import or interpret .POV files in a
way that Bryce3D can understand...
   And it doesn't have to be complex either: Most of my output work is
expressed as rectangular boxes, cylinders, and spheres anyways, so the
output geometry is simple...
   Sorry to bug you guys with outsider stuff, but I just have to know if
this is possible...
   Thanks!
   Be seeing you...
   Steve Laybourn

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 20:01:12 -0700, Steve Laybourn
<lau### [at] foxinternetnet> wrote:

>G'day!
>   This is my first posting here, be gentle with me...
>   I've used POV-Ray for a little more than five years, mostly for basic
>3D shape assembly, occasional CNC interpretation, and iterative function
>analysis...I like it because it's easy to generate a .POV text file
>based on the results...
>   Recently I got Bryce3D for Windows...
>   Now HERE is a way to really interpret 3D output files...trouble is,
>there doesn't seem to be a way to import or interpret .POV files in a
>way that Bryce3D can understand...
>   And it doesn't have to be complex either: Most of my output work is
>expressed as rectangular boxes, cylinders, and spheres anyways, so the
>output geometry is simple...
>   Sorry to bug you guys with outsider stuff, but I just have to know if
>this is possible...
>   Thanks!
>   Be seeing you...
>   Steve Laybourn

Pay a visit to Unkle Ken's Link Page in p.a.f-a-q and look for 3DWin.
It can manage POV 2.2 spheres, iirc. Other than that, perhaps it will
be easier to generate your output directly in a format that Bryce can
understand (say, dxf), depending on the utilities that you use.

You said "occasional CNC interpretation"... Am I right in guessing
that you mean "Computer Numerical Control" here? This summer I will be
operating and programming a laser technological system based on a
FANUC CNC and it would be really helpful if I can convert my scripts
to something POV can understand. Can you point out any utilities that
can manage this?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

> Pay a visit to Unkle Ken's Link Page in p.a.f-a-q and look for 3DWin.
> It can manage POV 2.2 spheres, iirc. Other than that, perhaps it will
> be easier to generate your output directly in a format that Bryce can
> understand (say, dxf), depending on the utilities that you use.

Actually I think it is CrossRoads that does what you are talking about.
It too is listed in my links collection.

> You said "occasional CNC interpretation"... Am I right in guessing
> that you mean "Computer Numerical Control" here? This summer I will be
> operating and programming a laser technological system based on a
> FANUC CNC and it would be really helpful if I can convert my scripts
> to something POV can understand. Can you point out any utilities that
> can manage this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Peter Popov
> ICQ: 15002700

  If you can output your data as gerber files you may find the following
site inspirational. The utility at the listed site will take a gerber file
and output a pov script for a printed circuit board. While not entirely
what you are looking for gerber data files are a format of choice for
many cnc operations and you may be able to contact the author for more
information on how he accomplished this.

http://hem.passagen.se/warp/

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net