POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sepia Tones Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Sepia Tones (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Steven Jones
Subject: Sepia Tones
Date: 5 Jun 1999 05:10:15
Message: <3758E96C.55EEC459@tsn.cc>
Does anyone know how to make a picture with sepia hues (e.g. the very
first scene in Titanic)?

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Sepia Tones
Date: 5 Jun 1999 06:23:21
Message: <3758FB38.2FE586D0@inapg.inra.fr>
Steven Jones wrote:

> Does anyone know how to make a picture with sepia hues (e.g. the very
> first scene in Titanic)?

Solution 1
- Declare a general Sepia color at the beginning of your scene
- Use this color in the whole scene, for pigments, lights, fog etc., with
different amounts of it (Sepia*0.1, Sepia*0.3, Sepia*1.1, Sepia*2...)
- Hint : using slightly different Sepias hues can make the scene richer
(a bluish one, a reddish one...)
- Example (more yellow than Sepia though)
http://www.mediaport.net/Artichaud/Tran/english/gtp178e.htm

Solution 2
Make the picture with the "real" colors and then use a paint programme to
desaturate the colors and give them the chosen hue. Most of them offer
this possibility. You won't be jailed for that and the result may be
closer to actual sepia photographs than Solution 1. For better results,
you'll probably have to choose carefully the original colors so that the
constrasts look good in sepia. Old B&W cinematographers knew a lot about
that.

G.

Post a reply to this message