POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Who is the greater threat to mankind? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Who is the greater threat to mankind? (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Jon A  Cruz
Subject: Re: Who is the greater threat to mankind?
Date: 10 May 1999 03:03:09
Message: <373676D2.A890CDD1@geocities.com>
Ph Gibone wrote:

> About Bill Gates (not a friend of mine), I don't like to hate somebody so
> many people like to hate :
> Of course Windoze is not the best OS (is it one ?), of course DOS was even
> worst, but how many of us, 'happy povers' would have a computer today
> without these two dirty, spooky pieces of code.
> Don't answer me Mac would have done the trick because I would reply : why
> didn't he do it ? If the Mac would have been better, less expensive,
> clonable... nobody would speak about Bill Gates today !
>
> So maybe the greater threat to mankind are the people who build the fame of
> someone and then want to kill him only because he's famous !

Actually, for me it's very much because of his actual actions and the corporate
culture he has fostered. When top MS execs do things like telling Apple to
"knife the baby" and reporting to Bill that they will be at every chance be
"pissing on" the industry products they are publicly supporting...

When the cost of most every major PC software package in the world has been
coming down over the years, but the cost of the OS keeps going up...

When his company successfully lobbies to get high-tech/computer contractors
eleminated from getting to be paid overtime...

When a company reaps massive proffits, yet illegaly classifies employees as
"temps" to save on having to pay them benefits...

When a company tries to dictate which third party applications may and may not
be run on their OS...

Jobbs, too, may have been hard to work for. But there is a difference between
pushing hard to win the competition, and working hard to kill the competition.

Post a reply to this message