POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Background image Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Background image (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Andrew Cocker
Subject: Background image
Date: 25 Apr 1999 20:55:47
Message: <3723ab83.0@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

    I'm working on a small project at the moment, and find that I need to use an
bitmap as
a background image. It looks like I'm going to have to map this image to a plane, and
then
mess about positioning and scaling the plane so that the image fits the screen
perfectly.
Too large, and the bitmap will pixellate, or, if I use interpolate, blur.
    It struck me that having an image_map available from within the 'background'
keyword
would be very usefull ie

background { rgb <1,.3,.4> // colour that will only be visible in
refraction/reflection
      image_map { gif "MyPic.gif"}
                }

What do you think?

Also, why can't we have a global map that only shows up in reflections ( as in Imagine
)?
Using the two methods combined would work well.

----------------------
Andy
-
--The Home Of Lunaland--
--visit my POV-Ray gallery--
--listen to my music--
www.acocker.freeserve.co.uk

Post a reply to this message

I made a background include file a while ago based on the code in NKFlare.
I'll post it in the text.scene-files group.

-Nathan

Andrew Cocker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     I'm working on a small project at the moment, and find that I need to use an
bitmap as
> a background image. It looks like I'm going to have to map this image to a plane,
and then
> mess about positioning and scaling the plane so that the image fits the screen
perfectly.
> Too large, and the bitmap will pixellate, or, if I use interpolate, blur.
>     It struck me that having an image_map available from within the 'background'
keyword
> would be very usefull ie
>
> background { rgb <1,.3,.4> // colour that will only be visible in
refraction/reflection
>       image_map { gif "MyPic.gif"}
>                 }
>
> What do you think?
>
> Also, why can't we have a global map that only shows up in reflections ( as in
Imagine )?
> Using the two methods combined would work well.
>
> ----------------------
> Andy

> -
> --The Home Of Lunaland--
> --visit my POV-Ray gallery--
> --listen to my music--
> www.acocker.freeserve.co.uk

Post a reply to this message

> I made a background include file a while ago based on the code in NKFlare.
> I'll post it in the text.scene-files group.
>
> -Nathan

Many thanks Nathan.

Andy

Post a reply to this message

> background { rgb <1,.3,.4> // colour that will only be visible in
refraction/reflection
>       image_map { gif "MyPic.gif"}
>                 }
>
> What do you think?