POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : computed rotate in macros Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:09:25 EDT (-0400)
  computed rotate in macros (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: John M  Dlugosz
Subject: computed rotate in macros
Date: 28 Feb 1999 14:14:18
Message: <36d9958a.0@news.povray.org>
Here is the situation:  A macro will create an object, and one of the
parameters specifies the "up" vector of the desired object.  The macro will
generate an object initially at the origin with a hard-coded "up" direction
(say, +y) and then translate/rotate into the final location.  Translate is
easy.  How about rotate?  In this case, I want to compute the arguments to
'rotate' so that what was +y now points paralell to the Up parameter.

The axis of rotation would be the cross product of the old and new up's.
The angle can also be figured from this (I don't know the formula off hand,
but it's not a big mystery).  BUT, POV wants a rotate command giving x,y,z
component angles.  There isn't a form to rotate (the enclosing object) by a
specific amount along a specified axis.

Anyone have the answer?

TIA,
--John

Post a reply to this message

> Here is the situation:  A macro will create an object, and one of the
> parameters specifies the "up" vector of the desired object.  The macro will
> generate an object initially at the origin with a hard-coded "up" direction
> (say, +y) and then translate/rotate into the final location.  Translate is
> easy.  How about rotate?  In this case, I want to compute the arguments to
> 'rotate' so that what was +y now points paralell to the Up parameter.
>
> The axis of rotation would be the cross product of the old and new up's.
> The angle can also be figured from this (I don't know the formula off hand,
> but it's not a big mystery).  BUT, POV wants a rotate command giving x,y,z
> component angles.  There isn't a form to rotate (the enclosing object) by a
> specific amount along a specified axis.
>
> Anyone have the answer?
>
> TIA,
> --John

  If I recall correctly there are (or is) a couple of macros at twysts
macro station that address normalizing an object in reference to the
origin. This I think is what you are attempting.
  The alternative is constructing the object at origin, rotating it,
and then applying the translations you need to make. This will allow you
to maintain any rotational attribute you have given the object.

http://twysted.net

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

Another one in this discussion, I have several rotate and a translate, as this :

rotate <nX,0,0>
rotate <0,nY,0>
rotate <0,nZ,0>
translate <0,nL,0>

Now I wonder, is it possible to make this into only one rotate/translate, or,
even better into a matrix (I don't know the math, I only want to know if it is
possible, as so far.)
If it is possible to make only one matrix, can I combine two of them into only
one ?? (yes, macro :-)

--
//Spider
( spi### [at] bahnhofse ) [ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]

Post a reply to this message

>Another one in this discussion, I have several rotate and a translate, as
this :

>rotate <nX,0,0>
>rotate <0,nY,0>
>rotate <0,nZ,0>
>translate <0,nL,0>
>
>Now I wonder, is it possible to make this into only one rotate/translate,
or,
>even better into a matrix (I don't know the math, I only want to know if it
is
>possible, as so far.)
>If it is possible to make only one matrix, can I combine two of them into
only
>one ?? (yes, macro :-)

Yes, you can, using matrix multiplication. There is a good tutorial
somewhere on the web (John's Pov Matrix Page:
http://www.erols.com/vansickl/matrix.htm). I would recommend reading this.
It's good. You can also find this in any math textbook.

But you could *propably* just as well combine the rotations like this:

rotate <nX, nY + nZ, 0>
translate nL * y

I think this is the correct order POV-Ray does this.
--
Rudy Velthuis

Post a reply to this message

I have some linear algebra textbooks here, but I'm not good enough to actually
understand anything from it(and I have to finish that class soon. *sigh*)
I'll try the last one.

--
//Spider
( spi### [at] bahnhofse ) [ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]
#declare life = rand(seed(42))*sqrt(-1);

Post a reply to this message

>  The alternative is constructing the object at origin, rotating it,
>and then applying the translations you need to make. This will allow you
>to maintain any rotational attribute you have given the object.

That =is= what I'm doing.

You could write a macro like this:
    object {
        MyThing (/* controlling parameters... */  ,  Pos, Orientation)
        // ...

as an alternative to writing
    object {
         MyThing (/* controlling parameters... */)
         rotate Orientation
        translate Pos
        // ...

with the advantage that the macro =knows= about that information and can
adjust itself accordingly.

However, I would find it more convenient to specify the "Orientation"
information not as the kind of x,y,z angles you normally give to "rotate",
but as a vector that points in the object's "Forward" direction.  This is
much more useful for computing object details within the macro, and I want
to develop a general technique based on it.

So, how do I turn the Forward vector into something that the "rotate"
command likes?

--John

Post a reply to this message

>Another one in this discussion, I have several rotate and a translate, as
this :

>rotate <nX,0,0>
>rotate <0,nY,0>
>rotate <0,nZ,0>
>translate <0,nL,0>
>
>Now I wonder, is it possible to make this into only one rotate/translate,
or,
>even better into a matrix (I don't know the math, I only want to know if it
is
>possible, as so far.)
>If it is possible to make only one matrix, can I combine two of them into
only
>one ?? (yes, macro :-)

It sure is.  I don't know if it's worth doing it in POV script, though.
It's not exactly an object-oriented language.

    matrix M= I;  // identity matrix
    M.rotate (n*x);
    M.rotate (n*y);
    M.rotate (n*z);
    M.translate (whatever);
    // ... later
    someObject.rotate (M);  // do the whole thing as one step
    anotherObject.rotate (M);  // same value used here.

--John

Post a reply to this message

I can't say I understand this. some more explination please.
As you do it, I get that M is anew matrix pointer at I, then you apply a rotate
to a matrix ???? Hmm, don't get that at all.