POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Uselessness !?#§ Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Uselessness !?#§ (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Fabien Hénon
Subject: Uselessness !?#§
Date: 24 Feb 1999 17:22:24
Message: <36d47ba0.0@news.povray.org>
Hi folks !
Last night, I downloaded the latest version of Wine. It's a windows
emulator for the linux platform. Just for fun, I started to run Pov for
windows with....and to my utter amazement it WORKS! Ok, it's still a bit
buggy. I know it's no help to have a windows version of a program which
has been successfully ported to Linux, but this is just an instance that
Windows might lose its supremacy of the market one day.

Post a reply to this message

>Last night, I downloaded the latest version of Wine. It's a windows
>emulator for the linux platform. Just for fun, I started to run Pov for
>windows with....and to my utter amazement it WORKS! Ok, it's still a bit
>buggy. I know it's no help to have a windows version of a program which
>has been successfully ported to Linux, but this is just an instance that
>Windows might lose its supremacy of the market one day.

Can you post a screenshot somewhere (e.g. povray.binaries.images) ?

Post a reply to this message

Did you try moray or spatch or one of those who might be the only
progs that could force me _temporarily_ to Win?

-Hans-

> Hi folks !
> Last night, I downloaded the latest version of Wine. It's a windows
> emulator for the linux platform. Just for fun, I started to run Pov for
> windows with....and to my utter amazement it WORKS! Ok, it's still a bit
> buggy. I know it's no help to have a windows version of a program which
> has been successfully ported to Linux, but this is just an instance that
> Windows might lose its supremacy of the market one day.

Post a reply to this message

Yes I have tried Spatch and it works as well (but is rather sluggish).
Moray for Windows doesn't work. By the way try to compile your executable. I
think ( but not sure) it helps. If you are interested Modplug works as well
but not too well.

I have posted a screenshot of POVWIN running under Linux.

Cheers.