POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bump Map Problem in POV 3.1d Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Bump Map Problem in POV 3.1d (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Lars W
Subject: Bump Map Problem in POV 3.1d
Date: 28 Feb 1999 13:28:58
Message: <36D98AFC.E4031676@snafu.de>
Hi

I just downloaded the 3.1d version and recognized, that Bump Maps aren't
working anymore the way
they should. All objects with Bump-Maps applied are very Dark, nearly
black, even if there pigment is white.
Are there just any syntax changes that cause this error, or is there an
error in the renderer ?

Here is some code that shows the effect, the rendered image just shows a
Dark gray sphere.

camera {
  location <0,0,-10>
  look_at <0,0,0>
  }

light_source { <0,0,-10> rgb <1,1,1> }

sphere { <0,0,0>,3
  pigment {  rgb <1,1,1> }
  normal { bump_map { gif "plasma2.gif" }  } // this gif should be in
everyones include directory, but you can try any
  }

greetings Lars Wolter

Homepage : www.snafu.de/~lars.wolter
E-Mail : lar### [at] snafude

Post a reply to this message

> I just downloaded the 3.1d version and recognized, that Bump Maps aren't
> working anymore the way
> they should. All objects with Bump-Maps applied are very Dark, nearly
> black, even if there pigment is white.
> Are there just any syntax changes that cause this error, or is there an
> error in the renderer ?
>
> Here is some code that shows the effect, the rendered image just shows a
> Dark gray sphere.

You are correct. It is not behaving correctly. You should make a bug
report immediatly before too many people download this version. The
standard distribution file bumpmap.pov can be used as the example of
incorrect behaviour since the pov team already has this as a reference.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message