POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dual processor entry Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  dual processor entry (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Marc Schimmler
Subject: dual processor entry
Date: 2 Feb 1999 08:21:09
Message: <36B6FBC4.F2C1349D@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
In last weeks the question arised several times if it is possible to
render scenes on a dual processor machine if one would get benefits from
it.

I proposed an entry into the VFAQ and ended up with gathering the
information for it. I now would like to present a rough version here so
that any remarks or corrections can be added.

Feedback wanted!!!

How can I use povray in a client/server environment? Do I get a
performance
improvement by using a dual processor machine?

Are are actually two utilities existing that support the rendering of
povray
scenes in a client/server environment.

1. PVMPOV

   For more information on this program see:

   http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/6386/pvmpov/index.html
   http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/povray/pvmpov.html

   You need PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine) to run. It is very
sophisticated
   and divides even the load for one picture between the available CPUs.

2. DISTPOV

   It used to be at:

   http://www.cus.umist.ac.uk/~ivarch/linux/utilities.html

   but the site shows only a placeholder for the next weeks.

Both utilities were designed for UNIX (e.g. LINUX) but for PVMPOV a beta
port
to WIN32 exists (http://netlib2.cs.utk.edu/pvm3/win32/).

On dual processor machine you get an improvement for PVMPOV according to
some
sources of about 1.5. The rest of the processing power is needed for the
management of the processes.

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler