POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scaling Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Scaling (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Darcy Johnston
Subject: Scaling
Date: 11 Dec 1998 19:59:16
Message: <3671bfe4.0@news.povray.org>
Just a general question:

Which is actually better, in terms of resources used by povray:
a) to have a smaller scaled object and then scale it up
b) have a larger scaled object and not need to 'scale' it anymore
c) having a small scaled object and just making your scene small scaled?

As an example, if I have a 255 foot tower, am I better off
a) using .1 = 1 foot and then using scale 10 to being it up to 1 unit = 1
foot
b) just using  1unit = 1 foot everywhere
c) just using .1 unit - 1 foot everywhere

or does it matter at all?

I realize this may be a silly question, but I was just curious whether any
of these possibilities makes any difference to Povray.

Thanks,
Darcy

Post a reply to this message

Well, one option is to use an include file and define some units.

You could then do something like
sphere{ <0,0,0> (1 * foot) }
sphere{ <0,0,0> (.5 * inch) }

And then try declaring different values for 'foot' and 'inch' and test
what happens.

BTW, that's one thing we are recommending for the IMP.

Darcy Johnston wrote:

> Just a general question:
>
> Which is actually better, in terms of resources used by povray:
> a) to have a smaller scaled object and then scale it up
> b) have a larger scaled object and not need to 'scale' it anymore
> c) having a small scaled object and just making your scene small scaled?
>
> As an example, if I have a 255 foot tower, am I better off
> a) using .1 = 1 foot and then using scale 10 to being it up to 1 unit = 1
> foot
> b) just using  1unit = 1 foot everywhere
> c) just using .1 unit - 1 foot everywhere
>
> or does it matter at all?
>
> I realize this may be a silly question, but I was just curious whether any
> of these possibilities makes any difference to Povray.
>
> Thanks,
> Darcy

Post a reply to this message

I don't think it matters on PovRay's part: A number is a number,
is a number.. That is if povray has to scale it has to do it, and
the time used is so and so.

But for me I choose some scale that is convinient for me.
Depending on the situation, I use mm, m or some arbitrary scale
that produce the picture I want,

cu
Bjarne