POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : re Poser Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:42:58 EDT (-0400)
  re Poser (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Mick Hazelgrove
Subject: re Poser
Date: 21 Nov 1998 07:26:46
Message: <3656b186.0@news.povray.org>
Does anyone know how to color different parts of a poser model in Pov ?
I vaguely remember seeing an article somewhere on the web but foolishly
didn't make a note of the url

Mick

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan Connelly
Subject: Re: re Poser
Date: 21 Nov 1998 09:25:08
Message: <3656CD38.20A84F20@flash.net>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

> Does anyone know how to color different parts of a poser model in Pov ?
> I vaguely remember seeing an article somewhere on the web but foolishly
> didn't make a note of the url
>
> Mick

The following excellent posting from Nathan O'Brien was sent
to the IRTC mailing list.   I haven't tried it myself, but
I think Nathan's IRTC entries speak nicely about the effectiveness
of his methods.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Ray Benjamin wrote:

> I'm using a figure that I've imported from Poser 2.  Unfortunately, Poser
> doesn't break out the objects in much detail, so adding textures to the
> triangle mesh appears to be a daunting task.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to ways to make this easier?  For instance, are there
> utilities that allow you to graphically apply textures to mesh objects?

I face this problem all the time. What I do is to import the Poser model
into Rhino 3d as a 3dstudio file. And then export it from Rhino as an
acad v12 dxf file. This means that when I import the dxf file into
autocad I can explode all the mesh entities into simple triangles. I
then regroup all the mesh entities into a series of layers that directly
correspond to the textures I wish to apply. After this has been done I
export the file from autocad as a 3dstudio file with objects grouped by
layers. I then import it into Rhino3d and then finally export it as a
Pov triangle mesh.

In terms of the most difficult area, the face, I use a matrix
transformation to apply an image map to the face in the right place. I
use the measured coordinates from the acad file to feed into the matrix
transformation.

This might seem a little confusing but if your interested in more detail
just ask and I'll send it.

--
regards

Nathan O'Brien
no1### [at] no13net
http://www.no13.net

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998 12:23:21 -0000, "Mick Hazelgrove"
<mic### [at] virginnet> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to color different parts of a poser model in Pov ?
>I vaguely remember seeing an article somewhere on the web but foolishly
>didn't make a note of the url

You might be thinking of http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/traces.html
Then again, you might not.

Post a reply to this message