POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: dot operators Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:47:26 EDT (-0400)
  Q: dot operators (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Q: dot operators
Date: 17 Nov 1998 17:24:15
Message: <3651F7C6.78F3442@peak.edu.ee>
I don't know if this is a bug or not, but it I can't redefine a single component
of a vector with dot operators, i.e.:

#declare Vector = <0,0,0>;
#declare Vector.x = 5; //This sort of operation gives an error

I would expect it to result in <5,0,0>
I know this can be worked around, but I don't see why it should be illegal.

Margus

Post a reply to this message

In article <365### [at] peakeduee> , Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee>  wrote:
>I don't know if this is a bug or not, but it I can't redefine a single component
>of a vector with dot operators, i.e.:
>
>#declare Vector = <0,0,0>;
>#declare Vector.x = 5; //This sort of operation gives an error
>
>I would expect it to result in <5,0,0>
>I know this can be worked around, but I don't see why it should be illegal.

Thats simple: Its not in the language definition!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom

Post a reply to this message

Thorsten Froehlich <fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> wrote:
>In article <365### [at] peakeduee> , Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee>  wrote:

>> I don't know if this is a bug or not, but it I can't redefine a
>> single component of a vector with dot operators, i.e.:
>>
>> #declare Vector = <0,0,0>;
>> #declare Vector.x = 5; //This sort of operation gives an error
>>
>> I would expect it to result in <5,0,0>
>> I know this can be worked around, but I don't see why it should be illegal.
>
>Thats simple: Its not in the language definition!

Abstracting further:

Is a #define just macro substitution, like in C, or is it an
actual assignment operator?

  -Rich

--
IITS/Computing Services     | "Oderint dum metuant."

Post a reply to this message