POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spot-light problems Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:44:41 EDT (-0400)
  Spot-light problems (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Glenn Beaton
Subject: Spot-light problems
Date: 8 Oct 1998 21:13:09
Message: <361CCA70.71D0@hotmail.com>
Humm.. This one's been bothering me a lot the last few weeks. I haven't
sat down and really -worked- at it much, but, yeah. Here it is. I have a
scene where there are four (eight, actually, but only four have
atmospheric_attenuation on) spotlights shining on a single die. I had
been planning on having the die spin around a few times, with the
spotlights doing a bit of a thing around the box the die is inside.
Well, I first got past the rather awkward problem of having
atmosphere-in-a-box, and I rendered the new scene. It was coming along
rather nicely (slow, but it looked nice enough to me).. until I saw
where the spotlights all met. There was some rather nasty lookign
interference there.. anti-aliasing, I think. Mach bands, or something
like that. Anyway, I jacked up the samples and jitter rate, and the
problem is still there. -PLUS-, even weirder, I find, it screwed up the
texture of the box. It ended up with these odd black stripes.. Strange.
Can anyone help me out? It'd be muchly appreciated.

Glenn

Post a reply to this message

Well if your color depth is only 16bit, you probably are running into a
case of software dropping the color depth down and not dithering.  (I
did a scene with 236 unique colors using 27 spotlights and atmosphere
and several thousand samples and there still were bands unless I raised
my display depth to 24bit and then they dissappeared.  The black stripes
could possibly be a result of a low render depth.

Steve