POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : INC files too large? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 10:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  INC files too large? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: John Roberts
Subject: INC files too large?
Date: 7 Oct 1998 13:02:29
Message: <361b9095.0@news.povray.org>
Hello All

I am running POV-RAY vers. 3.1, on an NT4.0 (service pack 3), Pentium II
dual 400 MHz, 512 MB RAM.

Here is the problem - If I try to include an object in the scene file which
has more than 15,000 triangles, POV-RAY crashes during the render.

It seems to be related only to the number of triangles, because if I
substitute the object with one that has fewer triangles (leaving all else
the same), the render executes OK.

Furthermore, if I include several simpler objects, say 8 objects with 5000
triangles, I have the same problem. If I gradually reduce the number of
objects, say to just two, then it renders again.

I have also tried reducing the number of colors on my display settings, but
that has no effect. I am also not using up the physical RAM on the computer.

Is this a problem unique to my setup, or does POV-RAY have an upper limit on
the complexity of the INC files? Based on some of the incredible renderings
I have seen, I suspect that I am not having a POV_RAY limit problem. Has
anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help
jro### [at] swriorg

Post a reply to this message

> Here is the problem - If I try to include an object in the scene file which
> has more than 15,000 triangles, POV-RAY crashes during the render.

snip

> Is this a problem unique to my setup, or does POV-RAY have an upper limit on
> the complexity of the INC files? Based on some of the incredible renderings
> I have seen, I suspect that I am not having a POV_RAY limit problem. Has
> anyone else seen this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help
> jro### [at] swriorg

I recently had a mesh that included almost a 100,000 triangles
in Pov 3.1r1.  Mesh files will usually only crash if they have too many
overlapping triangles or if there are degenerate triangles. Try commenting
out sections of the offending inc file say 2000 lines at a time and see if you
can find a hot spot. If you do then try to narrow it down from there.

Ken Tyler