POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : quartic in an intersection Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:51:18 EDT (-0400)
  quartic in an intersection (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: J  L  Rose
Subject: quartic in an intersection
Date: 7 Oct 1998 04:22:48
Message: <361AEC8C.673@spamBgone.nbnet.nb.ca>
Some time ago, I had this scene where I took a quartic (borrowed from
the "PIRIFORM.POV" sample scene), and intersected it with a cone. I
wanted the blunt end of the teardrop shape to sort of look like it had
been in a pencil sharpener.

When you look closely at the edge where the cone meets the piriform, it
aquired a narrow overhang, almost like the eaves (or drip-edge) of a
cone-shaped roof. When I clipped it with a plane to see what the
cross-section looked like, it was as if the cone was a piece of
infinitely thin sheet metal extending a tiny bit past the border, like
the brim of a dunce-cap.

Fortunately, it was acceptably unnoticeable when I zoomed out to the
normal view, but I could always still see it, once I knew it was there.

Has anybody else seen this happen?

-jr-

* Delete "spamBgone." to get my real address *