POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Patterns everywhere? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Patterns everywhere? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Patterns everywhere?
Date: 2 Oct 1998 08:50:33
Message: <36154AC6.253EE849@peak.edu.ee>
Well, I know that reflection_maps and finsih_maps have been suggested,
but I would ask (and please forgive me, if the answer is obvious to
you), why couldn't patterns be used with _any_ keyword in the texture
statement?
Versions of POV before 3.0 did not allow the modification of wave types
and usage of certain pattern types in normal or pigment (or so I
understand). Now they can all be used anywhere a pattern can be applied.

Why then couldn't we do something like:

crand {bozo [0 1]
                    [.5 0]}

or

reflection {dents [0 1]
                          [1 <1,0,0>]}

Perhaps some implemenations of this wouldn't be very useful (then again,
what's the point in using ramp_wave with marble - U simply get
gradient).
But the option to modify the value of any texture keyword with any
pattern function would give hugely more control over the look of the
texture.

Margus Ramst

Post a reply to this message