POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Best Platform ? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:29:34 EDT (-0400)
  Best Platform ? (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Neil
Subject: Best Platform ?
Date: 24 Jul 1998 21:39:54
Message: <35B99A84.91DEC51D@kjopen.globalnet.co.uk>
Which platform would have the faster rendering times,

A Sun Workstation (or SGI machine)

or

A Top end PC

????

Post a reply to this message

From: Nite Hawk
Subject: Re: Best Platform ?
Date: 25 Jul 1998 13:44:48
Message: <35B9C5E7.99BC855A@mail.minnehaha.pvt.k12.mn.us>
That really depends on how much money your willing to spend.  In the
same price range, for pure rendering speed a PC is going to beat both
out, because you can get other cheap components, and dual PIIs or
something.  If your comparing the best PC to the best sun or SGI, a 64
R10k SGI Oynx2 Reality Monster can't be beat by anything other than a
Cray.

Post a reply to this message

Sun Ultra 10 or 30, with Creater 3D possibly Elite 3D, UltraSPARC 300MHz
(possible *2 CPU).

With a dual PII 300Mhz, etc.

Neil

Post a reply to this message

>Sun Ultra 10 or 30, with Creater 3D possibly Elite 3D, UltraSPARC 300MHz
>(possible *2 CPU).
>
>With a dual PII 300Mhz, etc.
>
>Neil

Just remember, the official POV-Ray rendering speed will not increase with two CPUs!

Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom

Post a reply to this message

> Just remember, the official POV-Ray rendering speed will not increase with two CPUs!
>
> Thorsten

So does that mean, the faster the CPU (higher MHZ) the faster the rendering time ?

Neil

Post a reply to this message