POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media Question ( no! :> ) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:30:51 EDT (-0400)
  Media Question ( no! :> ) (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Charles Krause
Subject: Media Question ( no! :> )
Date: 10 Jul 1998 18:25:23
Message: <35a686c3.0@news.povray.org>
Ok - time to trot out my ignorance in public :)

Why does it seem to be required to have an emission media to have a
scattering effect in the atmosphere?

For example - putting the statement

media {
      scattering {3, 1.0 }
      }

into the scene results in utter blackness - despite the fact that one would
expect the scene's 5 spotlights to show up as scattered beams of light.

However, place

media {
      emission 1.0
      scattering {3, 1.0 }
      }

into the scene - and now there the beams show up fine - but as _darker_
bands in the general whiteness of the emission media.

So what don't I get here? :)

Post a reply to this message

>into the scene results in utter blackness - despite the fact that one would
>expect the scene's 5 spotlights to show up as scattered beams of light.

Try putting

media
{
    scattering {1, 0.02 }    // use VERY small values for the scattering
media...
}

Rarius