POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : More on neon tube lights Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  More on neon tube lights (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Wayne Gordon
Subject: More on neon tube lights
Date: 9 Sep 1998 21:57:02
Message: <35F72478.250B@phoenix.net>
I futzed around for a couple of nights with the old tubefont.inc
file and 3.1b4 when it first came out...trying to put media in the
hollow, semi-translucent, highly ambient letters. Not very pretty, but
I'm a hack! :-) Anyone think this might be a promising idea? And I
was just getting semi-semi-competent with halos....

Post a reply to this message

Wayne Gordon wrote in message <35F### [at] phoenixnet>...
>I futzed around for a couple of nights with the old tubefont.inc
>file and 3.1b4 when it first came out...trying to put media in the
>hollow, semi-translucent, highly ambient letters. Not very pretty, but
>I'm a hack! :-) Anyone think this might be a promising idea? And I
>was just getting semi-semi-competent with halos....

You might want to save some nerve by using a density_file. See
binaries.utilities for dta1df3 byPoD, text.tutorials for a tut on making df3
files and binaries.images for an example. The latter two are by me and I
know I'm not being very modest, but I hope this will help you.

Trace a ray!

Peter

Post a reply to this message

> Wayne Gordon wrote in message <35F### [at] phoenixnet>...
> >I futzed around for a couple of nights with the old tubefont.inc
> >file and 3.1b4 when it first came out...trying to put media in the
> >hollow, semi-translucent, highly ambient letters. Not very pretty, but
> >I'm a hack! :-) Anyone think this might be a promising idea? And I
> >was just getting semi-semi-competent with halos....
>
> You might want to save some nerve by using a density_file. See
> binaries.utilities for dta1df3 byPoD, text.tutorials for a tut on making df3
> files and binaries.images for an example. The latter two are by me and I
> know I'm not being very modest, but I hope this will help you.
>
> Trace a ray!
>
> Peter

Well, I must say I have a much better understanding of density files
after
checking both threads. Based on the image in binaries.images you could
reasonably fake a neon glow around just about any font by making a
density
file to get the shape using the font as the source? Cool. The infamous
tube
font could probably use just cylindrical and spherical densities and you
would only need a density_file  for the torri. <sp?> Very interesting
too
reading the docs that density_files can be used anywhere a pattern may
be used. Hmmm.