POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My personal too-much-raytracing tests. Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:32:08 EDT (-0400)
  My personal too-much-raytracing tests. (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Roland Mas
Subject: My personal too-much-raytracing tests.
Date: 14 Aug 1998 00:30:05
Message: <m34svgb658.fsf@clodomir.rezel.enst.fr>
Alright, let's go with it. This is my personal experience,
everything is true and happened to me.

  I realized I had been raytracing too much when:
- my eyes began to pixelize;
- I realized my only CPU benchmarking unit was the skyvase one
(x-povray -iskyvase.pov -l/usr/local/lib/povray3/include -w640 -h480
-f -d +v +a0.3 -q9);
- I was able to estimate the skyvase-bench for a computer I had never
tried before at 10 % precision;
- I wrote a Perl script to modify Chris Colefax's include files so
that they work on a case-sensitive OS;
- I found myself having a Web surfing cycle of two months:
http://www.irtc.org/ is what caused that;
- I even tried PVM-POV over a null-modem cable (PPP link);
- I used my crontab to generate a new random background image every
hour. And complained about it because it slows down my other
renderings;
- I rendered a pie chart in POV-Ray;
- I found myself using my fourth generation of the same family of
raytracers (DKB 2.12 -> POV 1, 2, 3);
- I checked http://www.povray.org/povbeta.html looking for the Unix
word before checking my mail this morning;
- I wondered how I could change my Xterm windows transparents so that
I could see my background image through them;
- I spent a full week improving quality in an animation; my friends
did not see the difference;
- I wondered what this big orange spot was and why it was moving from
one render to another, until I saw the shadow of my fingers on the
keyboard caused by the sunrise;
- I used END_SPHERE in a POV-Ray file (a long time ago, though);
- I was able to type a full scene without a pause and without more
than a second delay between two keystrokes; and it rendered the way I
wanted it to;
- I piped the output of a Perl script directly into POV;
- I found myself hungry and discovered that it was 9 PM and that I had
been rendering since 8 AM without a pause;
- I was ashamed to post a question on povray.general;
- I seriously considered porting Moray to Linux;
- I wondered if a C to VHDL converter existed, so that I could make a
POV-Ray chip from the sources;
- I delayed my computer reboot (after a kernel recompilation) because a
POV-Ray job was running. That was two weeks ago, the computer still
hasn't been rebooted.

  I think I'll have to change. Or live with it, why not?

Roland.
--

bob### [at] casimirrezelenstfr -- Linux, POV-Ray, LaTeX

Post a reply to this message

Try getting married and having kids - your'e not allowed to concentrate for
more than five minutes at a time!!!
Mike Hazelgrove

Roland Mas <bob### [at] casimirrezelenstfr> wrote in article
<m34### [at] clodomirrezelenstfr>...

"mick" <mic### [at] mindasoftnetcouk> wrote something like:

>Try getting married and having kids - your'e not allowed to concentrate for
>more than five minutes at a time!!!
>Mike Hazelgrove

You are correct, sir!!!

Chris

Post a reply to this message

Roland Mas <bob### [at] casimirrezelenstfr> wrote in article
<m34### [at] clodomirrezelenstfr>...
>   Alright, let's go with it. This is my personal experience,
> everything is true and happened to me.
>
>   I realized I had been raytracing too much when:
<snip>
> - I wondered if a C to VHDL converter existed, so that I could make a
> POV-Ray chip from the sources;

Now that is in interesting thought.....,  A POV chip, Does anyone have some
expeirnce here with VHDL, (I've got some but not enough to turn a full
blown raytracer into a chip). The Idea is interesting I may use for my
gradution.......

Thomas

ps. please send me some thoughts on my email:
tho### [at] poboxruunl

> bob### [at] casimirrezelenstfr -- Linux, POV-Ray, LaTeX

Post a reply to this message

>   Alright, let's go with it. This is my personal experience,
> everything is true and happened to me.
>
> - I seriously considered porting Moray to Linux;

Could you, would you, please???

Post a reply to this message