POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spherical Height fields? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Spherical Height fields? (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Dan Connelly
Subject: Re: Elebvation Maps (Was: Re: Spherical Height fields?)
Date: 23 Aug 1998 14:51:57
Message: <35E056BF.D81ADAE8@flash.net>
Shalon Wood wrote:

> No, actually, Leveller isn't the best, as it's windows only. Not to
> denigrate the author, but no program designed for use with POVray can
> honestly claim the title 'the best' unless it runs on at *least* a
> significant subset of the systems POVray does.
> Leveller seems nice, and I'd like to see an X version of it, but until
> there is one, 'the best' would have to be one of the command line
> converters that will run on either unix or windows.

I stand corrected -- I should have said the "best on W95".

Command line systems are not the best for Windows, where execution requires
opening a shell and dealing with the terrible W95 implementation of the
command line interface.  And GUI based packages often impede rather than
assist usage on UNIX, where command-line shells are highly developed
and quite convenient.  So there is no single "best" code for all
systems.

But to return to the original question -- many converters exist.
See, for example, dem2pov by John Beale:
http://shell3.ba.best.com/~beale/gforge/

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/