POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Filling a lathe Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Filling a lathe (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Erik
Subject: Filling a lathe
Date: 7 Aug 1998 09:50:10
Message: <35CAF829.E69A4EAE@3-cities.com>
Hi...I've lathed a cup with a glyph spline and now I have no idea how
to shape the water object to fit into it.  Using Moray BTW and tweaking
the file manually when needed.  clipped_by and none of the CSG
operations seem to be getting me anywhere.  Any suggestions other than
folding the spline to simulate thickness and working the water from
there?

Post a reply to this message

> Hi...I've lathed a cup with a glyph spline and now I have no idea how
> to shape the water object to fit into it.  Using Moray BTW and tweaking
> the file manually when needed.  clipped_by and none of the CSG
> operations seem to be getting me anywhere.  Any suggestions other than
> folding the spline to simulate thickness and working the water from
> there?

  I put together a demo illustrating how to accomplish  what you asked.
  I used a SOR object instead of the lathe you are using, but this will not
  affect the outcome. This will work with SOR's, Prism's, and Lathe's.

  So without further ado ...

  /*-- A Vase containg a red liquid - Demo File by K.Tyler 8/98 --*/

 // This defines the shape of the Vase and Liquid.
#declare Vase =
sor {
7,
<0.000000, 0.000000>
<0.118143, 0.000000>
<0.620253, 0.540084>
<0.210970, 0.827004>
<0.194093, 0.962025>
<0.286920, 1.000000>
<0.468354, 1.033755>}

// This Differences a Vase shape from a cube to make the Liquid
#declare Liquid =
difference {
box        { -1, 1 scale <25, 6, 25> translate 3.5*y                 }
object     { Vase inverse scale 20 } pigment { rgbf <.65,.13,.13,1>  }
finish     { ambient .5 diffuse 0 reflection .2 ior 1.66 caustics .5}}

// Then we use the same Vase shape as the container for the Liquid
#declare Water_Filled_Vase =
union  {
object { Vase scale 20 hollow on pigment { rgbf <.97,.97,.97,1 > }
finish { ambient .3 diffuse 0  specular 1 roughness .004 ior 1.66 brilliance 4}}

object { Liquid scale 1.0001 }}
// The Liquid should be scaled slightly larger than the Vase,
// to avoid the possibility of Coincident Surfaces.

// The Declared Object
object { Water_Filled_Vase translate 12.5*y}

// A Small Pedistal for the Vase
box    { -1, 1 scale<10,10,10>translate 2*y pigment{rgb .85}
finish { ambient .4 diffuse .1 reflection .15             }}

/* ---------------------------------- */

// The Camera, Lights, and other Vase object enhancing items

camera{location<0,9,-100>look_at 10*y}

light_source{<0,  4,-170>rgb 1}
light_source{<0,200,   0>rgb 1}

plane{y,0 rotate 3*x pigment { rgb .4     }
finish{ambient .4 diffuse .2 reflection .3}}

sky_sphere{
pigment{gradient y
color_map {[0 rgb .7][1 rgbf<.1,.4,.6,.8>]}}
pigment{bozo
color_map {[0 rgbf<.5,.3,.5,.6>][.5 rgbf .8][1 rgbf 1] } scale 2 }}

K.Tyler et, al

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (4 KB)

First, try to make a disc or a thin cylinder to simulate the surface of
water.

But maybe you'd rather try to make another lathe whith the same points
that you cup, and to apply a scale of 99.999% to avoid the surfaces to
concordate.
Of course you can make a CSG with this second lathe to make your cup not
completely full.

--
E-mail : <mil### [at] onlineworldnetfr>