POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray site is now operational Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  New POV-Ray site is now operational (Message 21 to 25 of 25)
From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: New POV-Ray site is now operational
Date: 26 Jul 2000 10:29:54
Message: <slrn8ntu5t.q9d.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:21:09 -0400, Karl Zimmerman wrote:
>http://www.povray.org/ yields an OK index frame, but the content frame
>says
>
>404 Not Found
>
>The URL requested was: /FlycastUniversal/index.js
>The operating system reports "The system cannot find the path
>specified." (3).
>
>Attempting to access http://www.povray.org/main.html directly yields the
>same message...

Probably just a transient failure.   You should probably try again.
Also, you should probably take note that the message you responded
to is over two years old.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jerry
Date: 26 Jul 2000 11:29:13
Message: <jerry-BB70F0.08291326072000@news.povray.org>
In article <397EF3D5.D5F8EF36@alum.mit.edu>, Karl Zimmerman
<kar### [at] alummitedu> wrote:

>http://www.povray.org/ yields an OK index frame, but the content frame
>says
>
>404 Not Found
>
>The URL requested was: /FlycastUniversal/index.js
>The operating system reports "The system cannot find the path
>specified." (3).

A number of sites were having this problem last night. The simple fix
was to turn off javascript in your browser.

What appeared to have been happening was this:

1) the site uses an off-site advertising agency (okay)

2) the off-site advertising agency uses javascript in their
advertisements (bad) but puts the javascript in a separate file (good).

3) the off-site advertising agency misplaced their javascript file
(naughty).

(4) when Netscape discovers that a javascript or CSS file that a page
"needs" is missing, it erases the page that "needs" it and gives you an
error (silly).

So, whenever you load a page using that advertising agency, it inserts a
javascript request into the page you're viewing, your browser discovers
that the javascript file it is requesting doesn't exist, and your
browser tells you so.

Turn off javascript and your browser never requests the javascript file
and never discovers that it is missing. You still see the ads, though.
I'm sure you're thrilled about that :*)

Jerry

Post a reply to this message

Thanks; it's fine now that I've disabled JavaScript!

-- Karl

Jerry wrote:

> In article <397EF3D5.D5F8EF36@alum.mit.edu>, Karl Zimmerman
> <kar### [at] alummitedu> wrote:
>
> >http://www.povray.org/ yields an OK index frame, but the content frame
> >says
> >
> >404 Not Found
> >
> >The URL requested was: /FlycastUniversal/index.js
> >The operating system reports "The system cannot find the path
> >specified." (3).
>
> A number of sites were having this problem last night. The simple fix
> was to turn off javascript in your browser.
>
> What appeared to have been happening was this:
>
> 1) the site uses an off-site advertising agency (okay)
>
> 2) the off-site advertising agency uses javascript in their
> advertisements (bad) but puts the javascript in a separate file (good).
>
> 3) the off-site advertising agency misplaced their javascript file
> (naughty).
>
> (4) when Netscape discovers that a javascript or CSS file that a page
> "needs" is missing, it erases the page that "needs" it and gives you an
> error (silly).
>
> So, whenever you load a page using that advertising agency, it inserts a
> javascript request into the page you're viewing, your browser discovers
> that the javascript file it is requesting doesn't exist, and your
> browser tells you so.
>
> Turn off javascript and your browser never requests the javascript file
> and never discovers that it is missing. You still see the ads, though.
> I'm sure you're thrilled about that :*)
>
> Jerry

Post a reply to this message