POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [Q] When tranparent surfaces isn't that transparent Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  [Q] When tranparent surfaces isn't that transparent (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Rune Winsevik
Subject: [Q] When tranparent surfaces isn't that transparent
Date: 25 Feb 1998 09:57:02
Message: <34f431eb.0@news.povray.org>
Hi Pov People!

I've run into this problem: When we're modelling a tranparent object and
place it on another surface (a floor, a table etc.) we get an ugly
effect. The bottom surface of the transparent object will have the same
y-value as the surface that the object is placed on. Is this something
POV don't like? As an example I've included a minimalistic POV file with
a "floor" and a simple transparent object. As you'll see the bottom
surface of the transparent object goes ape (since it lies in the same
plane as the "floor"?). Can someone explain to me why this happens?

Thanks!

-Rune

The .pov file:
========

global_settings
{
   assumed_gamma 2.2
   ambient_light 0.8
}

background { color rgb <0.9, 0.9, 0.9> }

camera
{
   location <100, 100, 100>
   angle 18
   look_at  <0,5,0>
}

light_source { <250, 200, -100> color 1.5 }

// Floor
#declare T1 = texture
{
  pigment { rgb <.5, .5, .9> }
  finish { ambient 0.70 diffuse 0.70 }
}
mesh
{
  smooth_triangle
  {
    <-500, 0,  500>, <0,1,0>
    < 500, 0,  500>, <0,1,0>
    <   0, 0, -500>, <0,1,0>
  }
  texture {T1}
}

// Transparent object
#declare T2 = texture
{
  pigment { rgbt <.6, .6, .6, 0.90> }
  finish { ambient 0.5 diffuse 1.0 }
}
mesh
{
  smooth_triangle
  {
    <-10, 0,   5> <0, -1, 0>
    <  0, 0, -10> <0, -1, 0>
    < 10, 0,   5> <0, -1, 0>
  }
  smooth_triangle
  {
    <-10,  0,   5> <0, .6, .8>
    < 10,  0,   5> <0, .6, .8>
    <  0, 20,   0> <0, .6, .8>
  }
  smooth_triangle
  {
    < 10,  0,   5> <0.4,0.82,-0.4>
    <  0,  0, -10> <0.4,0.82,-0.4>
    <  0, 20,   0> <0.4,0.82,-0.4>
  }
  smooth_triangle
  {
    <  0,  0, -10> <-0.4,0.82,-0.4>
    <-10,  0,   5> <-0.4,0.82,-0.4>
    <  0, 20,   0> <-0.4,0.82,-0.4>
  }
 texture {T2}
}

Remove "SPAM?NO!" to reply. My home is at: http://home.sol.no/~runew

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (4 KB)

> I've run into this problem: When we're modelling a tranparent object and
> place it on another surface (a floor, a table etc.) we get an ugly
> effect. The bottom surface of the transparent object will have the same
> y-value as the surface that the object is placed on. Is this something
> POV don't like?

This is exactly the point.

> Can someone explain to me why this happens?

Povray has problems to detect which surface is the upper one. So due to
rounding error it choses the bottom of the transparent object for one ray
and the floor for another one.

Solution:
Put the transparent object slightly above the floor.

I hope this helps.

ThW

P.S.: Please don't post HTML-code to newsgroups.

--
Tho### [at] uni-konstanzde
http://www.informatik.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/

Post a reply to this message

> Put the transparent object slightly above the floor.

Or to avoid the effect of the tiny space between (possible
refraction/reflection) make the objet above the floor a little bit thicker so
that it reaches "into" the floor.

Johannes.

Post a reply to this message

> I've run into this problem: When we're modelling a tranparent object
> and place it on another surface (a floor, a table etc.) we get an ugly
> effect. The bottom surface of the transparent object will have the
> same y-value as the surface that the object is placed on. Is this
> something POV don't like? As an example I've included a minimalistic
> POV file with a "floor" and a simple transparent object. As you'll see
> the bottom surface of the transparent object goes ape (since it lies
> in the same plane as the "floor"?). Can someone explain to me why this
> happens?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Rune
>
> The .pov file:
> ========
>
> global_settings
> {
>    assumed_gamma 2.2
>    ambient_light 0.8
> }
>
> background { color rgb <0.9, 0.9, 0.9> }
>
> camera
> {
>    location <100, 100, 100>
>    angle 18
>    look_at  <0,5,0>
> }
>
> light_source { <250, 200, -100> color 1.5 }

> [...]
The problem your encountering is called coincidental surfaces you can
read about in the povray docs.

Post a reply to this message

From: Daniel Sullivan
Date: 10 Sep 1998 03:24:03