POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing (Message 1 to 10 of 51)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing
Date: 27 Oct 2002 22:34:24
Message: <3dbcb040$1@news.povray.org>
3D World had an article about this, but I couldn't find an online link.

http://www.digitalproducer.com/2002/07_jul/news/07_22/pixar_exluna.htm

Pixar sued a rival, and one of the object of contention was the
anti-aliasing technique.  Is POV OK?

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 27 Oct 2002 22:43:44
Message: <chrishuff-D34488.22370227102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dbcb040$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Greg M. Johnson" <gregj:-)56590@ao:-)l.com> wrote:

> 3D World had an article about this, but I couldn't find an online link.
>
> http://www.digitalproducer.com/2002/07_jul/news/07_22/pixar_exluna.htm
>
> Pixar sued a rival, and one of the object of contention was the
> anti-aliasing technique.  Is POV OK?

If you are asking if anyone has a patent on something used in POV, the
answer is yes. Given the amount and type of stuff patented, there has to
be. Even if there weren't, POV still wouldn't be "safe". This particular
patent was on a kind of "random sampling" as I recall...they could
probably claim it applies to POV antialiasing, area lights, photons,
media, radiosity...fighting them off would not be easy.
Fortunately, the POV Team probably isn't a very high-priority target.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

In article <chr### [at] netplexaussieorg> ,
Christopher James Huff <chr### [at] maccom>  wrote:

>> 3D World had an article about this, but I couldn't find an online link.
>>
>> http://www.digitalproducer.com/2002/07_jul/news/07_22/pixar_exluna.htm
>>
>> Pixar sued a rival, and one of the object of contention was the
>> anti-aliasing technique.  Is POV OK?
>
> If you are asking if anyone has a patent on something used in POV, the
> answer is yes. Given the amount and type of stuff patented, there has to
> be. Even if there weren't, POV still wouldn't be "safe". This particular
> patent was on a kind of "random sampling" as I recall...they could
> probably claim it applies to POV antialiasing, area lights, photons,
> media, radiosity...fighting them off would not be easy.
> Fortunately, the POV Team probably isn't a very high-priority target.

No, the official answer can only be that the POV-Team is not aware of any
patents infringed by POV-Ray.  Saying anything else would be very
danagerous.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde