POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Water ripples !!! Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Water ripples !!! (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Oliver Batchelor
Subject: Water ripples !!!
Date: 12 May 1998 23:18:02
Message: <355910EA.BA626E5C@netaccess.co.nz>
Can anyone help me,  I am trying to create water ripples that animate.
I was trying to use 'phase = clock'  in the normal statement but it does
seem kind of fake and the ripples never die down or get smaller away
from the initial location  as well as looking realy bad where it meets
the high field.

I looked in the Pov docs, but it didnt say much.
Can anyone help.

thanks,
|                      Oliver
Batchelor                                                   |
|          Email :
Bat### [at] netaccessconz                                         |
|Homepage :
http://users.netaccess.co.nz/Batch/                           |
|_________________________________________________|

Post a reply to this message

From: Kent Friberg
Subject: Re: Water ripples !!!
Date: 13 May 1998 14:09:42
Message: <6jcoku$dhc$1@oz.aussie.org>
Hi Oliver,
check out the thread you started in povray.binaries.animations

The conclusion was that the phase statement DO NOT alter the surface in any
way, it just LOOKS like the waves are there, another approach (not directly
in POV?) is needed I'm afraid....

-K

Oliver Batchelor wrote in message <355910EA.BA626E5C@netaccess.co.nz>...
>Can anyone help me,  I am trying to create water ripples that animate.
>I was trying to use 'phase = clock'  in the normal statement but it does
>seem kind of fake and the ripples never die down or get smaller away
>from the initial location  as well as looking realy bad where it meets
>the high field.
>
>I looked in the Pov docs, but it didnt say much.
>Can anyone help.
>
>thanks,
>--
>|                      Oliver
>Batchelor                                                   |
>|          Email :
>Bat### [at] netaccessconz                                         |
>|Homepage :
>http://users.netaccess.co.nz/Batch/                           |
>|_________________________________________________|

Post a reply to this message

From: Mathias Broxvall
Date: 13 May 1998 17:24:00
Message: <1d8znra.1afn7nszkeqesN@dialup78-2-26.swipnet.se>
Kent Friberg <kef### [at] NoSpamThanxonlineno> wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
> check out the thread you started in povray.binaries.animations
>
> The conclusion was that the phase statement DO NOT alter the surface in any
> way, it just LOOKS like the waves are there, another approach (not directly
> in POV?) is needed I'm afraid....

How about using the isosurface patch to represent the water surface
with a function. Try this:

// Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer Scene Description File
// File: ripples.pov
// Vers: Isosurface patch
// Desc: Some simple ripples
// Date: 980513
// Auth: Mathias Broxvall

#include "Colors.inc"
#include "Skies.inc"

camera {
  location  <0.0 , 12.0 ,-16.0>
  look_at   <0.0 , 1.0 , 1.5>
}

light_source { <0,20,0> color rgb 1 }

#declare STRENGTH1 = 1.0
#declare SCALE1 = 1.0
#declare OFFSET1 = clock*5.0
#declare CENTER1_X = -6.0
#declare CENTER1_Z = 0.0

#declare STRENGTH2 = 0.7
#declare SCALE2 = 1.0
#declare OFFSET2 = clock*5.0
#declare CENTER2_X = 7.0
#declare CENTER2_Z = 3.0

#declare wave1Fun = function { STRENGTH1 / (x+1+OFFSET1) * sin(SCALE1 *
(x-OFFSET1)) }
#declare wave1 = function { wave1Fun(sqrt(sqr(x - CENTER1_X)+sqr(z -
CENTER1_Z)),0,0) }

#declare wave2Fun = function { STRENGTH2 / (x+1+OFFSET2) * sin(SCALE2 *
(x-OFFSET2)) }
#declare wave2 = function { wave2Fun(sqrt(sqr(x - CENTER2_X)+sqr(z -
CENTER2_Z)),0,0) }

#declare foo = function { y - 1 + wave1(x,y,z) + wave2(x,y,z) }

isosurface {
  function { foo }
  bounded_by {box{<-50,0,-50>,<50,2,50>}}
  pigment { color rgb <0.5,0.5,1.0> }
  finish {
    phong 0.5
    //metallic
  }
  scale <1,2,1> // lets exagerate it!
  translate <0,1,0>
}

/ Mathias Broxvall

Post a reply to this message

From: Kent Friberg
Date: 15 May 1998 21:39:41
Message: <6jiqpq$oh4$1@oz.aussie.org>
Hmm, not so good at this, but when trying the scene you posted POV-Ray
respond with:

":error: object or directive expected but undeclared identifier 'function'
found instead."

?

How would I declare this function ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Mathias Broxvall
Date: 17 May 1998 03:53:28
Message: <1d94y5u.11eaa9k1rrihn8N@dialup91-1-55.swipnet.se>
Kent Friberg <kef### [at] NoSpamThanxonlineno> wrote:

> ":error: object or directive expected but undeclared identifier 'function'
> found instead."

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. You [unfortunately] have to use the
isosurfepatch. It should be available for PC's,MacOS and Unix but I
don't remember the address to the homepage....
Good luck

/ Mathias Broxvall

Post a reply to this message

From: David Etter Perere