POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light artifacts when joining a cylinder and a box Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:09:29 EDT (-0400)
  Light artifacts when joining a cylinder and a box (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: gumpu
Subject: Light artifacts when joining a cylinder and a box
Date: 15 Apr 2003 10:10:05
Message: <web.3e9c1229f5729fe5feb9491e0@news.povray.org>
Hoi,

When I join a cylinder and a box I see odd light artifacts.
Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something?

The following scene shows a close-up of the artifact.  The whole scene
consists of a box on top of a cylinder on top of another box.  At the
point where the cylinder and the box meet one can see the light shine
through. (The light green line)
The cylinder sticks about halfway into the box.

The artifact also shows when the union is removed.

The artifact dissapears however when the bottom box is removed
or when the union is replaced with a merge.

Have fun,
Frans.

----artifact.pov-----------------------------------------------
// close-up view
camera { location  <0.5, 1.59, 0.5> look_at <0, 2, 0>}

// Try this for an overview
// camera { location  <0.5, 2.59, -4.5> look_at <0, 2, 0>}

light_source {<1,10,1> colour rgb 1}
light_source {<1.1,10,1> colour rgb 1}
light_source {<1,10,1.1> colour rgb 1}

union {