POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Question about RAM Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:28:39 EDT (-0400)
  A Question about RAM (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Wykan
Subject: A Question about RAM
Date: 12 Jul 1998 09:03:29
Message: <01bdad8d$0633e460$01f239d1@Default.siscom.net>
Forgive the obvious ignorance that motivates this question, but how much
RAM should I have to use POV at its best?

I currently have 48mb (on a 166mhz Pentium II), but I get the impression
that I should have much more -- in fact, that there may be no real upper
limit: "The more, the better."

How much do most of you Heavyweight Ray Tracers work with?

Post a reply to this message

> Forgive the obvious ignorance that motivates this question, but how much
> RAM should I have to use POV at its best?
>
> I currently have 48mb (on a 166mhz Pentium II), but I get the impression
> that I should have much more -- in fact, that there may be no real upper
> limit: "The more, the better."
>
> How much do most of you Heavyweight Ray Tracers work with?

After examining the entries for IRTC June 1998, it appears 128MB
is the going standard for Pentium machines.

After having POV-pi choke on a current image (a big blob),
I just bought an extra 64MB to boost my current 64MB.  The cost
from Sam's Computer was something like $80.... not bad for
such a substantial upgrade.

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/