POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth level for smooth_triangle. : Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle. Server Time
26 Jul 2024 19:39:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle.
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Nov 2023 05:00:00
Message: <web.6561c4c584c692a39b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
"GioSeregni" <gms### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> > And if you DO see red there, then try moving the camera around, and viewing it
> > from different angles - because it may just disappear and pop up in different
> > areas.
>
> It seems that they always arise on the
> perimeter of the volumes (in positions tangential to the cone of vision)...

Yes, that is where those artifacts sometimes appear on a smooth-triangle object.
I think it also depends on the lighting angle, and maybe even the size of the
triangles.

What you are seeing is a known effect of raytracing the smooth normals when they
are viewed at that raking angle. (I thought that there was a short technical
explanation of this in the documentation, but I cannot find it.) The camera is
picking up the unlighted (black) interior of the object.

If I make a low-rez height_field and add the 'smooth' keyword, the same thing
happens. The interior_texture trick is one way to try and make these artifacts
less noticable. Or try adding the 'double_illuminate' keyword to the object. If
I recall, this was a recommended 'fix' for the problem. It seems to work most of
the time, but not in every situation.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'smooth_triangle artifacts_kw.jpg' (87 KB)

Preview of image 'smooth_triangle artifacts_kw.jpg'
smooth_triangle artifacts_kw.jpg