POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth level for smooth_triangle. : Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle. Server Time
26 Jul 2024 23:14:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle.
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Nov 2023 13:40:00
Message: <web.655cf8eb84c692a39b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
"GioSeregni" <gms### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hi all, first I apologize for my bad english.
> I finished now developing (basic version no color at this moment)  a small
> transformation tool from STL mesh, in the center, to mesh with smooth_triangles.

Hello Giovanni!

Your results are already looking very good! :-) Congratulations for figuring out
this kind of translation. (I have been busy working on the 'opposite'
translation-- POV-ray objects to STL.)

A little utility called 'stl2pov' was mentioned. I remember it from years ago.
It is still available here, although it apparently runs in Python(?). It might
give you some ideas and suggestions about your problem.

https://github.com/rsmith-nl/stltools

By the way, I also thought that the normals of triangles are direction vectors
of 'unit length' by default, not smaller or larger, but I could be wrong.

I am looking forward to seeing how you solve your too-smooth problem; I wish
that I could offer some suggestions. Some of this triangle stuff is outside my
knowledge.  *If* the triangle normals are all unit length, perhaps your summing
operation could be made to eliminate some of the identical normals on large flat
areas, which might reduce their contribution-- and make the smoothness less
smooth. (?)