POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth level for smooth_triangle. : Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle. Server Time
26 Jul 2024 20:34:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth level for smooth_triangle.
From: GioSeregni
Date: 21 Nov 2023 02:30:00
Message: <web.655c5bc784c692a35464b73e59126100@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "GioSeregni" <gms### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > For an excellent result the code must have at least 3 steps
> > 1) (already done), calculation of the average of the normals affecting the
> > point.
> > 2) Correcting the weight of the normals per point if they also come from
> > triangles with a large surface area
> > 3) Corrective of the normals if the adjacent triangles have an inclination
> > between them that tends to approach 90 degrees
>
> fwiw, my 'gts2pov' takes triangle area into account when calculating the
> normals.  also just found mention of a 'stl2pov' software :
> <https://news.povray.org/web.6156c51533af95845bd1b3ba6cde94f1%40news.povray.org>
>
> <https://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Jr>
>

> regards, jr.

Tx JR!
My code is already working from STL to POV even with the color subset of STL.
In fact I have to add the surface calculation to the loops from triangle to
smooth_triangle, I'll take a look at your system. But first I also want to
translate the color, as I already do with the triangles, dividing groups of
differently colored meshes. This way my translator will also become faster
because the loops are compact and short on small meshes.
(between different colors I don't want smooth).
In the center STL, on the left the current smooth routine, on the right the
simple triangle mesh. Thank you!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'clipboard01.png' (158 KB)